July 3, 2006

Life is not fair but . . .

“Shall evil be repaid for good? For they have dug a pit for my life. Remember that I stood before You to speak good for them, to turn away Your wrath from them. (Jeremiah 18:20, NKJV)

We lived for a while in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and attended a little church in Mortlach, a few miles west. When we announced we were moving on, an older woman came up to my husband and poked him in the chest. She said, “Remember this, wherever you go and whatever happens; life is not fair, but God is good.”

Her words stuck. We’ve often said them to others when life seems not fair. It happened to Jeremiah and still happens. This Old Testament prophet had prayed for his people, but they turned against him and tried to kill him. Life is not fair. Yet God rescued Jeremiah and did deal with those who were against him.

The theme of fairness seems to be related to justice. Everyone knows God is just and demands justice. However, fairness is more about impartiality; justice is about moral rightness. This may seem like splitting hairs, but the first word comes up in discussions about the sovereignty of God in salvation when we should be using the second word.

To be more precise, the Bible says God chooses some for eternal life but not others. To that, some people say (and all of us think) that God is not fair. Why should He save one person and not another?

It’s the wrong question. Fairness is our issue. The right question should be: Since God is just, why does He save anyone? According to justice, no one should be given eternal life; all deserve eternal punishment.

This morning my husband is at the doctor to hear the results of an ultrasound. Has the leukemia spread to his liver and spleen? I could be asking God why is Bob sick? He’s His servant and this is not fair. I’m not asking that.

Job’s ‘friends’ took a different approach. Instead of thinking God was not fair, they were sure that God was being just and punishing this man for some sin or other. I’m not thinking that either.

Hezekiah became ill in the last part of his life and pleaded with God on the basis of the good things he had done. God heard his prayer and gave him fifteen more years. I know if my husband prays this way, his appeal will be to God’s mercy, not his own merits.

These days, fairness and justice are not on my mind. I’m thinking about grace—God is incredibly good to us. We have assurance of eternal life based on the work of Christ at Calvary and the promises of God for those who trust in Him.

I’m thinking about His wisdom and power—nothing is too hard for God. He could heal the damaged DNA and fix this illness if that is His will, or use this to bring my husband into eternity. I’m trusting the wisdom and power of God. He knows what He is doing.

I’m also thinking about His presence. How precious to know without a doubt that He is with me, with us, as we walk through these uncertain days. I feel His nearness, hear His assurances, know He is guiding my thoughts. He is not telling us the future, but He is giving us peace, even joy, in the present. In the seeming unfairness of life this is an incredible gift from our good God!

No comments: