May 25, 2006

I'm a slow learner . . .

“And in those times there was no peace to the one who went out, nor to the one who came in, but great turmoil was on all the inhabitants of the lands. So nation was destroyed by nation, and city by city, for God troubled them with every adversity. But you, be strong and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded.” (2 Chronicles 15:5-7, NKJV)

God told the king of Judah, who was obedient to God, that his efforts were not in vain. As long as he continued to seek God and do His will, God would be with him and reward him.

The principle is the same today: God is present and powerful to defend His people. He promises that no matter what happens, He can “work it together for good” in our lives, using all our circumstances to make us more like Jesus Christ. The reward is not health, wealth, fame, popularity or status; it is the blessing of God — and a transformed life.

Those that do not know Christ have a different value system. If they pray, it is for immediate relief from problems, or for here-and-now benefits, things that will not last beyond the grave. It takes me a long time to shake off and reject that value system.

Not that God isn’t interested in the here and now. He answers prayer for all kinds of needs that are for this life only. However, even as He does that, He somehow changes the way I think about this life. He is showing me the short life-span of those goals reached and the long-term value of a changed character.

What good is winning a prize if I gloat over the losers? What good is having good health if I’m crabby and unthankful? What good is a full bank account if I refuse to help someone with a financial need? What good is being at the top of the heap if I’m standing on someone else?

God will reward my prayers and the work that I do for Him, but it will not be monetary. Instead, I will become less selfish, more humble, more concerned for others, a more dedicated servant. I will complain less, argue less, be harmless and blameless, without fault in a generation that conversely cries, “Me first,” “I’m the greatest,” “Look out for Number One,” “Serve Me,” “I have my rights,” “I’m right” and “I deserve it.”

The Lord taught Asa to look past this life and consider what will last forever. He is teaching me the same things, and even though I’m a lousy student, the message slowly sinks in.

No comments: