March 4, 2006

Choosing patience - not this morning - :-(

“Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us” (Romans 5:1-5 NKJV).

I got up this morning on what some would say the wrong side of the bed. As I sat down for devotions my husband called me from the back door, but he didn’t wait for my answer. I went downstairs and opened the door to the garage just in time to see the overhead door close. I pushed the button to open it. He was in our vehicle with the engine running, but when he saw me, he got out and told me what he’d said. I was angry. Why didn’t he wait until I answered him instead of taking off?

This passage shouted at me. Foolish woman, don’t you know that tribulations (even little ones like being interrupted) are supposed to produce cheerful patience? (I looked up that “perseverance” word.)

This small tribulation was supposed to bring out patience. I flunked. I also missed out on the opportunity to experience the character of God, because the patience He wants is from Christ who lives in me. He will give me His character, including patience. By choosing cheerful endurance I would have known the grace of God and enjoyed the hope that comes when His love is poured out or shed abroad (toward others) in my heart. I missed it. Instead of His love, out came my self-centeredness. No wonder I felt irritated. I did it to myself.

No comments: