February 3, 2017

The Greatest Gift



Today’s devotional is about God’s greatest gift. This topic suits my mood for today is my birthday. Not only is this one a significant milestone, but I’ve already received a significant gift from my family. Last night, my husband went out to a Bible study. About an hour later, the doorbell rang. I was thinking it would be one of our neighbors coming to talk to Bob, but when I opened the door, there was my hubby with my gift — our daughter flew up from Texas and was standing there smiling a most wonderful “Happy Birthday.”

It was one of those laugh/cry moments that comes from an unexpected joy. Her birthday is three days from now and we have always celebrated together, but this year it seemed certain that would not happen. I spent the rest of the evening hugging and pinching her to make sure she is really here.

God’s gift is incredibly amazing, even topping this one and all others. It comes from Jesus who says, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.” (John 10:28)

Eternal life is the gift of God by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. It is free, as all gifts are.

Before He gave it to me, I had no idea that such a gift was available, even though I wondered what would happen to me after death. When He surprised me with this gift, He began the process of enlightening my heart so I would know “what is the hope to which he has called (me), what are the riches of His glorious inheritance in (me), and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward all those who believe according to the working of his great might.” (Ephesians 1:18-19)

This is the same power that God worked in Christ when He raised him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand, a place that I share with Him positionally now and experientially after death.

With all gifts, I did not earn it, deserve it, work for it or even expect it. Besides that, there is nothing in my heart or behavior which can cause God to take away the gift of eternal life (Isaiah 54:10). Because of His nature, God cannot reverse or grab back this gift that was so freely bestowed . . . “For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.” (Romans 11:29)

Our daughter will return to her home on Sunday, but the gift of eternal life must, of necessity, be eternal. I’m flying high today but by Monday, I might want to sleep all week! Yet God’s gift will not come to an end. I cannot lose it and perish.

Jesus, my life is eternal, because it is life in union with You. I cannot possibly perish unless You also perish, and your life is indestructible, a life that has already conquered death. Birthdays come and go, but because of You, I am eternally secure.

No comments: