January 13, 2017

Surety means I have all that God promises . . .



The term ‘surety’ is not in my regular vocabulary, but it is in today’s devotional reading. The dictionary says a surety is “security against loss or damage or for the fulfillment of an obligation, the payment of a debt, etc.; a pledge, guaranty, or bond, but it is also a person who has made himself or herself responsible for another, as a sponsor, godparent, or bondsman” — or as a Savior.

In the Old Testament, God promised His people an everlasting covenant with Him. He said . . .

“Behold, I will gather them from all the countries to which I drove them in my anger and my wrath and in great indignation. I will bring them back to this place, and I will make them dwell in safety. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God. I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me.” (Jeremiah 32:37–40)

This covenant was not characterized by ‘do this’ and ‘don’t do that’ He describes what it is like . . .

“For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.” (Hebrews 8:10–12)

This new covenant began and was guaranteed by the Lord Jesus Christ in His death and resurrection. Through Him, sin is forgiven and cleansed. Through Him, eternal life is given and Jesus is assurance that this life from God is mine forever because Lord Jesus Christ is the Surety of the covenant. God entrusted His glory, grace and His redeemed people to His Son who agreed to assume full responsibility for them, including me. Like a shepherd trust with the owner’s sheep, Christ drew near to God for me and put Himself under obligation to God for my eternal well-being. He voluntarily took this obligation as a Servant-Savior and agreed to be responsible to His Father for my righteousness. As my Surety, He will present me to God as holy and without blame. This is His obligation and because He is who He is, there will be no failure.

Jesus, what is there to say? I shake my head in wonder at the plan of salvation and the fact that it is accomplished. Nothing can stand in the way or prevent it; I am Your child and You are my Savior, my righteousness, my surety.

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!” (Romans 11:33)

Praise Your Name!

No comments: