May 4, 2012

Looking Up

Jesus was in demand. Everywhere He went people brought their sick for Him to heal. In one instance, they brought a man who was deaf and had a speech impediment, begging Him to lay His hands on him.
 
I’m thinking of the demands made on me. People call for information, or a favor, or the use of my skills. Sometimes I deliver, but not always. Sometimes the demands flatter me, or annoy me, but Jesus never felt that way. He always delivered because He never relied on Himself.
And looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.” (Mark 7:34)
As today’s devotional reading says of this verse, sinful people are not always quick to look up. Too often I sigh and look within, or down or to the earth and the things of this world, or to other people. Jesus sighed, but He looked outward and up to heaven, up to His Father. He did the same on many occasions, such as when He fed the multitudes.
And taking the five loaves and the two fish he looked up to heaven and said a blessing and broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples to set before the people. And he divided the two fish among them all. (Mark 6:41)
Another example of this attitude comes from King David, whom God called a man after His own heart. While David made mistakes, he always turned toward the Lord and demonstrated the same attitude as Jesus did.
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up. (Psalm 5:3)
Others also set an example for me in this, such as my husband who is quick to look up with a humble and thankful heart. 

Putting these thoughts together, I know that an attitude of looking up is part of what it means to be like Jesus. Even as God, He was also fully human and demonstrated to His people how we should live as servants of the Most High. When people make demands on me, or when anything happens, I also need to be quick to look up.


Lord, I know the reason for looking up. This is how to acknowledge You as the source of all good things, as the One who takes care of me. Thank You. Always keep my eyes and heart looking in Your direction, for I realize that I need You to be able to do even that.

No comments: