May 24, 2010

To Live is Christ — with constant diligence

Yesterday’s message from the pulpit was a simple one. The pastor used 1 Peter 2:1-3 to remind us how we should grow in the new life God has given us.
Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. (1 Peter 2:1–3)
His three points spoke to me. The first is that I need to put away sin. I’ve been a Christian for almost forty years, and by now one might think this is a baby step that I’ve already made, but sin is a deeply entrenched human condition. Yes, Jesus died for it, and I am forgiven. Its penalty is taken care of, but its presence must be overcome. Salvation begins with forgiveness but it continues with a fight.

This list of sins is not comprehensive, but close. Malice is any kind of evil; deceit is hiding truth. Hypocrisy is holding a double-standard and having a lack of integrity. Envy is wanting what others have, and slander is backbiting, speaking evil about others behind their backs. As I listened to these descriptions, the Holy Spirit reminded me of violations, perhaps small in the eyes of some, but God does not measure sin by degree. I’m either innocent or guilty — and growth is hindered by guilt.

The second point was about my innermost desires. A person who is born again, or given new life through faith in Jesus Christ is like a baby, and babies crave milk, usually every few hours. In this case, the milk referred to is the Word of God. Am I like that with the Bible? Do I crave it as my necessary food? I know that I love to read it, but yesterday I thought about all the time that I feed on other stuff — that which does nothing for my spiritual growth and might even hinder it. Even though I don’t sit in front of the TV every night, the OFF button on the television set did come to mind. So did my computer.

The third point was about tasting the goodness of God. After so many years of believing in Christ, the goodness of God is like a feast. The pastor said that far too many Christians walk around as if God is dealing them blows. They have sad faces, are grumpy and complaining, and generally consider many of their life experiences a bit of a raw deal.

Early in my Christian life God showed me that He uses all things for my good, all things to transform me into the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29). Because of that, I’ve learned that there is purpose in the tough times. This helps me with acceptance of trials and with looking for what God wants from me in them.

But I still complain. I complain about my duties. I complain about interruptions and trivia. I get annoyed when my plans are thwarted. I’ve tried to practice self-sacrifice, but at my control. When someone else needs something and I am busy . . . well, I grumble.

This phrase, “taste and see” reminded me that even in these “little” annoyances, God is still good. I’m to taste that goodness instead of letting my selfishness control my responses. I also need to remember that Satan’s original lie hinted that God really didn’t want good for His people. He still uses that lie to mess up the lives of millions. God is good. I’m to taste that truth, even feast on it every day, especially when tempted with those small annoyances.

This morning’s devotional reading is also from 1 Peter. It puts an exclamation mark on the sermon, first by reminding me that I’m still a child and not a grownup. I need the three points of that sermon, no matter how long I’ve been walking with Jesus. 

As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do. (1 Peter 1:14–15)
Sometimes I joke that I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up, but I do know. I want to be like Jesus. To get there, I need the Word of God as my guide book. I also need to put away all sin, knowing this is a lifetime task. When I think I have arrived, a good drink of spiritual milk will show me that I still need to grow. God’s Word also reminds me of the goodness of God and His holiness, the target for my life.

To live is Christ means constant diligence. Sin’s presence will vanish when I step into glory, but for now, I must battle it. I cannot do that without the Word of God and without continual awareness of God’s goodness. He has given me everything necessary to prevent my spiritual life from becoming stagnant, but I’m still a babe and I still need to desire growth and keep growing.

No comments: