May 13, 2010

To Live is Christ — choosing my battles

This morning I realized that my hotel offers a senior’s rate but I had not asked for it. (It’s nice to not be assumed a senior, but I am Scottish!) So this morning I went to the desk and asked. It is 10% off, but then he said I would not get the free breakfast ($4.99) and by paying for breakfast, I’d only save five cents. I did the math, but said nothing. As I had my toast and juice, I plotted my protest. Then I came back to my room and read this: 
Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that from God. (Philippians 1:27–28)
The first few words are not only about unity in the church and striving for the Gospel. They are also about practical living. The man at the desk could have ripped me off a few dollars, but in the same situation would Jesus demand justice? I doubt it. He might see the bigger picture, but He also knows that in the end, God evens things out. He is my Defender, the One who goes to bat for me. If I need justice, I don’t need to grab it by the throat. He will get it for me.

Besides, whatever I might gain by making demands usually turns out to be someone's loss. Jesus isn’t into the gain and loss game, or the “I’m right and you are wrong” game either. So instead of making an issue out of a few dollars and about being perceived as someone who cannot add, I’m paying my bill and driving on.

No comments: