February 20, 2010

To Live is Christ — knowing the power of biblical confession

A website called “This is True” reports that a woman called the University of Oregon and confessed that she cheated on a final exam 34 years prior. The university decided not to revoke her professional therapist’s degree. Instead, she had to write an essay on the importance of academic integrity and how “corrosive” dishonesty can be.

Yesterday, Tiger Woods publically confessed his sins. His reasons for doing so are debatable, and speculation abounds about his sincerity. In the meantime, he has gone back into therapy for his “addiction” to sex.

An adage claims that “confession is good for the soul” and at least one dictionary says that confession makes you feel better. Perhaps that is what Tiger Woods had in mind, but whatever his reasons, I know that his confession was not the same as the one the Bible talks about.

Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. (James 5:16)

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
These verses give godly confession a place in the healing process, both physical and spiritual. This works several ways.

First, some sicknesses are directly related to guilt over sin. Godly confession deals with the guilt because genuine godly confession secures its removal. Healing can then happen.

Second, God sometimes uses sickness to chasten His people for sin. In that case He still tells us to come clean with what we have done, not only to remove the guilt but to secure spiritual healing. Such godly confession leads to eternal life for the unsaved, and nurtures that life once it is obtained. The sorrow of the world has no such power.

Beyond that, Christian confession is also about restoring relationships. God hates sin and whenever I sin, there is a rift in our relationship. It is not that He cuts me off totally because Jesus died for my sins (all of them) and I have redemption in His name. This rift happens because sin messes me up. I don’t want to pray and my focus has turned away from Him. When I sin, God does not move away, but I do.

It is similar to when I do wrong to anyone else. They stop trusting me, are not comfortable in my presence, and feel offended. While God is not the same as we are over hurt feelings, He cares when we sin. After all, the reason Christ died is so we can have victory over sin. Why keep sinning? This is a rejection of the wonderful gift He offers.

The biggest difference with Christian confession is that we are “saying the same thing” or agreeing with God about our sin. We want His forgiveness and cleansing, and we want no cloud over our relationship, but we also know that sin is totally beyond our control. Confession includes the admission that I cannot conquer this and that I need God’s solution for sin. I need Jesus. Experience teaches Christians that “trying harder” does not work.

The adage says that confession is “good for the soul” but the Bible warns about a worldly sorrow for sin, a sorrow that “I got caught” and confessing just to feel better and get off the hook. On the other hand, godly sorrow produces repentance (turning from sin to God) and after that, life-changing results.

Godly sorrow means God is involved. As I confess, He gives me whatever is needed to overcome the sin. Writing an essay or going into therapy might have some value and my own efforts might even clear the air between me and those I have sinned against, but they have no value toward true victory over sin. Instead, godly sorrow and biblical confession secure and restore my relationship with God — and He does the saving.

Jesus died to save me from the penalty and power of sin. Trying harder does not work and never will. My only claim for forgiveness and cleansing is never how sorry I am or how much I want to change. It is always and only the amazing grace of God and the power of His blood.

No comments: