February 17, 2020

Getting Trained . . .


Genesis 50; Job 16–17; Luke 3; 1 Corinthians 4

The Word of God is practical, contrary to the notion that it is merely an out-of-date old book without relevance to modern life. For this reason, I’ve added this verse to the description of this blog:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

Today’s readings also motivated me to do that. The one from Job is advice when counseling those who are in trouble or complaining about their lot in life. God instructs me from Job’s response to the counsel of his ‘friends’ who wrongly decided why he suffered so much and blabbed on and on about their theories. Job responded:

“I have heard many such things; miserable comforters are you all. Shall windy words have an end? Or what provokes you that you answer? I also could speak as you do, if you were in my place; I could join words together against you and shake my head at you. I could strengthen you with my mouth, and the solace of my lips would assuage your pain.” (Job 16:2–5)

As my devotional guide says, they were not saying anything new and compounded rather than eased his trouble. Their long-winded speeches and arguments were not like good counselors who console and listen. It seems that Job was surprised at the latest tirade and wondered if his ‘friend’ was sick or something. He said if they could change places, he could fire verbal bullets at them and mock them, but he would not do that. Instead he would give encouragement and comfort. Job had done that in the past for others and knew listening and consoling would be more apt to bring relief than condemnation.

Is this not practical? In conversation with people, complaining about something often comes up. How am I to best deal with the person who is upset and hurting because of their lot in life? I could offer “if you did this you would feel better” yet listening and empathy is far better than assuming I know the ‘fix’ for their problem. From personal experience, I know that taking the place of God and telling people what to do makes things worse. Job’s response tells me the same thing.

The reading in Luke is also helpful and instructional, yet in a different way. I’ve prayed a long time for those who do not yet realize the wonder of knowing God. At times, I question that He is listening or cares. I am not able to see anything happening and get discouraged. Yet God wants me to keep praying.

John the Baptist was on a mission to tell people about Jesus. His message was to prepare them so it mainly concerned repentance — which means to turn from sin to God. Luke uses a passage in Isaiah to tell the people about a major promise that the Lord would come bringing salvation . . .

And he (John) went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall become straight, and the rough places shall become level ways, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’ ” (Luke 3:3–6)

This is a quote from Isaiah 40:3-5. It reminded me of another verse:

“And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.” (Isaiah 42:16)

God says to me that He will turn the spiritual blind to sight, to light, and He will even out the rugged places in their lives and make them open and level. This is what God does — and He does not abandon those in need.

Immediately I am encouraged by this instruction in prayer. It is practical affirmation that God cares about those who cannot yet see Him, even for me when I feel ‘blind’ to what He is doing. He says He will not walk away because rescuing those in darkness is what He does. I need to keep praying for them, not give up with the idea their situation is hopeless. He instructs and urges me to continue relying on His promises. He will answer.


No comments: