February 14, 2020

Beware of ‘friendly fire’


Genesis 47; Luke 1:1–38; Job 13; 1 Corinthians 1

With a bit of a smile, I’ve often said to others that if you ask God to show you your sin, then duck! This is a prayer that He quickly answers.

However, this was not the experience of Job. He knew that God disciplined His people for sin, but in his situation, he could not identify any sin. He pled with God to show it to him. If he was guilty, he could confess it, but God was silent. This man was frustrated. His ‘friends’ kept accusing him. Job didn’t think he was guilty, but God didn’t say a word.

The silence of God is painful, but having others speak to us as if they know what God would say can be even more painful. Those who belong to Jesus know His voice so when God speaks, we know it is Him regardless of the voice used. Yet we must learn to be careful. When someone says, “God told me to tell you” their message need discernment. Who is doing the talking? Job knew this and was upset with the nagging of his ‘friends’ who thought they knew what God wanted from him:

“Behold, my eye has seen all this, my ear has heard and understood it. What you know, I also know; I am not inferior to you. But I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to argue my case with God. As for you, you whitewash with lies; worthless physicians are you all. Oh that you would keep silent, and it would be your wisdom! Hear now my argument and listen to the pleadings of my lips. Will you speak falsely for God and speak deceitfully for him? Will you show partiality toward him? Will you plead the case for God? (Job 13:1–8)

Regarding sin in my life, God can use others to rebuke it. The Bible is full of examples. However, I need to discern the voice; is this from God or not? Usually He deals with His people directly. He may give me a revelation about someone else, yet that also needs discernment. It might be a cue to pray for them, not usually a message that He wants me to give to them.

In Job’s case, he knew that his ‘friends’ were off target in their attempts to speak for God. There is no evidence that they prayed for their ‘message’ nor that God gave him the words they used in accusation.

Job was frustrated. He wanted God to speak. He jumps from responding to them to speaking to God himself. He asks again that the Lord will reveal to him what is going on or more directly, why is this trial happening to him:

Though he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face. This will be my salvation, that the godless shall not come before him. Keep listening to my words, and let my declaration be in your ears. Behold, I have prepared my case; I know that I shall be in the right. Who is there who will contend with me? For then I would be silent and die. Only grant me two things, then I will not hide myself from your face: withdraw your hand far from me, and let not dread of you terrify me. Then call, and I will answer; or let me speak, and you reply to me. How many are my iniquities and my sins? Make me know my transgression and my sin. Why do you hide your face and count me as your enemy? (Job 13:15–24)

I’m thankful for the book of Job during those seasons when God is silent about His reasons for events in my life that seem to have no purpose. As with Job, He could be proving my faith rather than with disciplining me for some hidden sin. I also need to use caution should advice come my way that sounds more like “shape up” than a revelation from the Lord. If I am guilty of something, God will reveal it, yet I need to remember that He may be using whatever is going on to build my faith by this simple command: “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)

No comments: