February 7, 2020

Another day of war


Genesis 40; Job 6; Mark 10; Romans 10

This day is strange. We had to go early to the ER to get the packing out of my nose before the waiting room filled with people. I had slept soundly, partly due to a bandana that kept the air moist since mouth breathing in our part of the world is like drinking sand. I have no words to describe my state of mind when hubby woke me. My mind and body felt dislocated. I was mumbling and could not hear very well. Even after the the packing was pulled out, I still could not breathe properly.

In conversation with the doctor on call, I was told something that I recognized as a fear tactic from my spiritual enemy. I retaliated by saying that my health, life and death were in the hands of God and I will die when the Lord decides it is time. I must take care of myself (not play in traffic) but God is in charge. I don’t make decisions based on fear. The doctor was somewhat startled.

Genesis 40 describes Joseph wrongfully in prison. Two other prisoners have dreams which he interprets. He credited God for what he told them. Both interpretations came true. However, in the story, Joseph tells the prisoner who survived to relate his situation to the Pharaoh. That man forgets and Joseph stays in jail for two more years. Yet during all this he does not confuse God’s providential rule with God’s moral approval. That is, just because he was wrongfully convicted and the man who was released forgot to go to bat for him does not mean that God was upset with Joseph. And Joseph knew it.

This is helpful to my faith too. Just because my world is upside-down does not mean God is mad at me. I can trust the goodness of my sovereign, providential God, while confronting and opposing the evil that takes place in this fallen world and the discomforts happening in my life.

That is why, even as I waited for the all-clear to leave the ER, I was praying against the enemy who is throwing arrows at me and even at my family. I know that somehow this is about my sister’s Celebration of Life service tomorrow and my prayers that Christ will be lifted up and God will be glorified. The enemy does not want me to pray or glorify God or any of the things I’m praying for to happen.

Job didn’t confuse God’s providential rule with God’s moral approval either. He lost everything but he knew that God is sovereign and his redemption was not based on his own goodness or lack thereof. He also knew he’d done nothing to ‘earn’ his losses. He answered the accusations of his ‘friends’ with, “Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have gone astray. How forceful are upright words! But what does reproof from you reprove?” (Job 6:24–25)

If they could prove he was sinning, he would listen, but the force of their words was not convincing him just as Joseph’s unlawful imprisonment did not prove the wrath of God was on him.

I’m seeing the spiritual war going on with this physical challenge to my body and in the other events of this week that seem designed to turn me from faith to fear. But Jesus stands by, my Lord and my Savior. He is my refuge and my strength, today and always. I refuse to let the liar turn me away from trusting Jesus Christ.


No comments: