February 1, 2019

An important genealogy


For many, tracing a family tree has become an important but often difficult task. In my case, I did what I could because others were interested, but I could only go so far. On my father’s side, I discovered too many people with the same names. Without birth/death dates, I could go no farther than my great-grandparents. My mother’s side gave me the same problem with her Swedish ancestors and fire had destroyed the records of those who were from Ireland.

The New Testament did not have either problem. Matthew was able to trace the human genealogy of Jesus Christ back to Abraham. This was convincing proof to his Jewish readers of Jesus’ qualifications as the Messiah, the anointed One, and King of the Jews.

This genealogy is found in the first chapter. It covers a span of time containing many familiar names of men, two women, and several generations:

So all the generations from Abraham to David were fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ fourteen generations. (Matthew 1:17)

This was important because God had promised His people a Savior, a Messiah, who would be descended from David. His lineage showed His qualifications.

While the term “messiah” had been used for others appointed by God to deliver them from various problems, this would be different, a Deliverer from the penalty and power of sin. However, this designation was not as plain to the ancient Jews as it is to God’s people now. The promise included continuation for the line of David and David’s eternal throne. This covenant idea was developed in the Psalms.

For the sake of your servant David, do not turn away the face of your anointed one. The Lord swore to David a sure oath from which he will not turn back: “One of the sons of your body I will set on your throne.” (Psalm 132:10–11)

Matthew’s use of the genealogy establishes Jesus as in the line of David. He also refers to Jesus’ quote from the OT to show that this is the One who was promised:

The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet.” (Matthew 22:44 from Psalm 110:1)

Tracing a family tree can be fun. Someone married into my family discovered she is a relative of actor John Wayne. A neighbor found out she is descended from Mary Queen of Scots. If I discovered someone in my family tree who was royalty, could I claim a throne? I don’t think so. Yet in the case of Jesus, the throne was promised to a person in the family tree of David. Obviously, this was the place to begin the story of Jesus the Christ, Matthew and the Holy Spirit wanted a way that would alert if not convince the Jewish people that their King had arrived.

Matthew gave other evidences of Jesus’ qualifications as Messiah and King of the Jews yet perhaps this was the strongest. He was born into the family tree of David, the beloved king of Israel.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I tend to think of You as my Shepherd Friend who loves me and protects me, guiding me as one of Your sheep. However, You are also my King, the Ruler of my heart and life. I bow before You, acknowledging that You are not only the King of the Jews, but King of kings and Lord of lords, the only One who reigns in my life.

No comments: