January 16, 2019

No matter what, His will is accomplished . . .


Without intending to, I missed Herod Agrippa I, another grandson of Herod the Great, the third ruler at the time of Christ and one whose story makes me cringe. His reign from A.D. 37–44 was cut short by his sudden and gruesome death. Before that, he murdered of James the son of Zebedee and brother of John. Then he put Peter in prison. His death is recorded as follows:

On an appointed day Herod put on his royal robes, took his seat upon the throne, and delivered an oration to them. And the people were shouting, “The voice of a god, and not of a man!” Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and breathed his last. (Acts 12:21–23)

This “appointed day” reminds me of the phrase “in the fullness of time” as if the writers is hinting that God had orchestrated both events — the birth of His Son and the death of this man who tried to usurp His glory. I cringe when I read this, not only because of the worms, but because of the times I have failed to give God the glory when praised by others. How sinful to receive praise that belongs to Him. How gracious of God to not strike me with the same fate.

One more political leader stands out in the story of Jesus Christ. It is the Roman procurator of Judea, Pontius Pilate (A.D. 26–36). He was involved in the trial of Jesus, and even though he repeatedly declared Him not guilty, he finally condemned the Son of God to death.

(Pilate) went back outside to the Jews and told them, “I find no guilt in him. But you have a custom that I should release one man for you at the Passover. So do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?” They cried out again, “Not this man, but Barabbas!” Now Barabbas was a robber. Then Pilate took Jesus and flogged him. And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head and arrayed him in a purple robe. They came up to him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” and struck him with their hands. Pilate went out again and said to them, “See, I am bringing him out to you that you may know that I find no guilt in him.” So Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, “Behold the man!” When the chief priests and the officers saw him, they cried out, “Crucify him, crucify him!” Pilate said to them, “Take him yourselves and crucify him, for I find no guilt in him.” (John 18:38–19:6)

Shortly after the death of Christ, Tiberius deposed Pilate for an attack on the Samaritans and ordered him to appear before the emperor (A.D. 36). What happened to him after that is uncertain.

Again, ambivalence in leadership played a role in the story of Jesus Christ. Pilate waffled. He was afraid of upsetting the Jews and putting his position in jeopardy even though he was convinced that Jesus did not deserve to die. He reminds me of many contemporary politicians who fear their loss of position and power more than they fear doing what is unjust.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, reading about these people in authority presents instruction and warning to me, but also encouragement. I’m to stand for truth, glorify God in all things, and not be afraid of what others think or might do to me. At the same time, I’m encouraged that God uses even the foolishness of human beings to fit into His plans. Your goals are met, regardless of human flaws and failures. I trust You with the events of life, the leaders who seem to be set against You, and the results of their decisions. Your plans will be accomplished. I also trust You when I mess up. I can’t make any excuses that this is part of Your plan but I can know that my mistakes will not stop You from fulfilling your plan. Big picture or small incidents, I can rest in You.

No comments: