October 12, 2018

Why say ‘Amen’?


Yesterday God reminded me that prayer not only includes worship but must begin with worship. In declaring who He is and what He does, I am expressing faith — yet this must be from the heart. Praise and worship can never deteriorate to a mantra or chant like a child’s version of table prayer: “God is great; God is good. Let us thank Him for our food . . . .”

Jesus describes worship as from the deepest part of who I am, from my spirit. Worship is also based on truth about God but also truth about me. I cannot come to Him with feigned adoration or with unconfessed sin . . .

“But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:23–24)

The psalmist, King David, knew this. He wrote that the content of prayer was a cry from the heart, even a sacrifice in the sense that prayer and worship are costly. I know from experience that this is true. Sometimes prayer takes all my energy as I direct it to my Lord and God.

“Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you (or I direct my prayer to you) and watch.” (Psalm 5:1–3)

Today I noticed the last two words of these verses: “and watch.” In Hebrew, they could refer to a watchman who stands on the city wall or tower keeping his eyes open for friend or foe, alert to whatever happens next. In the context of what God is teaching me, this is what comes after prayer. I begin with worship, pray from the heart in worship and giving it my all, and then after the prayer is ended, I watch.

Watch for what? Obviously, I watch for the answer. This watching is an expression of faith and can be done only by those that believe God hears and answers prayer. How important is that? This morning I also read these verses:

“And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, ‘Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?’ And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household.’ And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.” (Matthew 13:53–58)

It is not that He was unable to do mighty works, but that He did not do them. His answer to their unbelief was no answer. In contrast, His answer to faith is always a surprise but not because I think He is not going to answer, but because His answer was something that I had not thought of or imagined. The point is, when I pray it must be with an expectation that there will be an answer. This is why I say ‘Amen’ — a word that means “So be it!”

Reading the rest of Psalm 5 shows that the faith of David was based on his view of God as expressed in the way he praised Him. The worship in the beginning shaped the prayers in the middle and became the foundation for his confidence that God heard and would answer. How could he not also say amen!

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, giver of grace and goodness, Your ways are both mysterious and logical. I love what You are showing me about prayer. This is giving my prayer life a boost, but more importantly, it is heightening my understanding of Your great heart. Blessings. Blessings. Blessings.

No comments: