October 1, 2018

My place in His Kingdom


BBC has a fascinating channel with programs about the natural world. Sometimes one species is featured that I’ve never heard of, such as a mouse with a snout like an elephant. The entire show is close up to the life of this little critter, sometimes its face fills the screen. While I wonder how they produce such incredible film, I also think of the God who created these animals, the variety and the amazing characteristics that keep them from extinction.

Raised on a farm, I know a bit about cattle, horses, pigs, dogs, and cats. For a little while, I had some sheep and am almost embarrassed to realize that God calls His people sheep. They are not cute and cuddly, but easily frightened, silly at times, and smelly.

Tozer puts awe back in my heart today by saying that no one should think they lose their human dignity by becoming a follower of Christ. Instead, we need to realize that this is a place of high honor. I am made in the image of God and my disgrace is the sin of putting myself on the throne of my like. I’m most like the negatives of a sheep when I do my own thing, but I am more like Jesus Christ (but still His sheep) when I exalt the Lord. Stop and think about that!

Getting to this place of honor was not my own doing but God’s work. Had I been on earth and watching Jesus at work, I would not have realized who He was unless God had decided to make me one of His sheep . . .

“So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, ‘How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.’ Jesus answered them, ‘I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.’” (John 10:24–30)

They didn’t get it because they were not His sheep. While some use this statement to support predestination, it could be a simple statement of fact. They had not surrendered to the Shepherd nor were willing to following Him and as a result were unable to hear His voice and had not received eternal life. They were out of the loop because they refused to bow to their need of Him.

Tozer says that anyone who is reluctant to surrender his will to the will of another should remember Jesus’ words:

“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?” Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:31–36)

Ordinary sheep are slaves to their senseless fears and propensity to get in trouble. The sheep of Jesus hear His voice reassuring them of His care, warning them of danger, helping them out of it, and taking care of their every need. I may never be a star on a BBC show, but letting Him be my Shepherd takes me from a defenseless critter to a place in God’s fold, loved and cared for, exalted in His kingdom.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I am grateful that You call me Your own. I’m also grateful that I know Your voice and that You have set me free from the slavery of trying to make sense of life without you. Being Your sheep is not a loss of dignity but an incredible honor!


No comments: