October 4, 2018

Love and Adore Him (October 3, posted October 4)

“Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on his afflicted.” (Isaiah 49:13)

How does God comfort his people? Sometimes it's an answer to prayer. Sometimes it's a repetition of his promises. Sometimes it's a reminder of what he's already done. Sometimes it's an unexpected Event, a surprise.

Today it was a surprise. Our oldest son is on a work assignment that takes him nearby. He hopes to stop in for coffee. Since she lives 2 and a half hours away this doesn't happen very often. It's a comfort.

God fascinates me. Tozer says fascination with God must have an element of adoration. He describes adoration as all the ingredients of worship “brought to white, incandescent heat with the fire of the Holy Spirit.” Adoring God means loving Him with all our power, with fear and wonder and yearning and awe. It is what Jesus meant when He said,

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” (Matthew 22:37)

Some reserve the word ‘awesome’ for God alone. Tozer does the same with ‘adore’ keeping this word for the “only One who deserves it” and declares, “Who else can we kneel before in reverent fear and wonder and yearning and feel the sense of possessiveness that cries ‘Mine, mine!’”

When I woke this morning, my heart was asking the Lord to give me what I need for the day. When the phone rang, I had no expectation that His gifts would include a visit from our son, always welcome and always a delight.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, the day is still young but I’m already composing a ‘thank You’ list for Your blessings. I’m still in pain and feeling sorry for myself is easy. However, You know how to keep my mind on Your thoughtful goodness. May You be blessed in all that we say and do.


No comments: