August 4, 2018

Why do I get tired?


Why do I feel so energetic when the Lord gives me joy? Is there a connection between joy and physical vigor? Nehemiah wrote that there is:

“Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” (Nehemiah 8:10, italics mine)

My next question is related: is there a connection between grumbling and fatigue? I’ve thought that fatigue makes me crabby, but it could be the other way around. Tozer prompted these questions as he started today’s devotional with this verse:
“If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.” (Romans 8:11)
This verse is talking about new life from God. Tozer uses it to say that Jesus didn’t seem to become as weary as we do because He was completely possessed by the Holy Spirit. As fully man He did get tired but the strain and the exhaustion of an extremely busy life were spared Him because He was constantly filled with the Holy Spirit . . .  
“God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.” (Acts 10:38)
His ministry was exhausting and even impossible ministry for an ordinary person. John described this way:
“Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20:30–31)
As I think of Jesus’ ministry and compare it to what people do and how tired we get, this passage popped into my mind:
“Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:28–31)
I also wondered about the New Testament word for ‘power’ so found this definition: possession of controlling influence; often understood as manifesting influence over reality in a supernatural manner. This definitely describes the power of Jesus as He went about doing good. However, it also describes the renewing power given by the Holy Spirit when we rely on Jesus who said:
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:28–29)
I’ve previously felt that rest for the soul is not the same as rest for the body, yet now see the connection. When I am at rest and joyful, I’ve much more energy than when I’m agitated and grumpy.

Tozer says, “It is possible to work far beyond the normal strength of the human constitution and yet experience little or no fatigue because the energy for the work has been provided, not by the burning up of human tissue, but by the indwelling Spirit of power.”

He adds that this has been experience by a few unusual souls, and the pity is that they are unusual.

Yesterday I wrote about the little things that come between me and God, realizing that the work of the Holy Spirit is blocked in me by any sort of disobedience or saying NO to Him. That being true, it is little wonder that His power is limited by my self-rule, as is His peace and joy. When I get tired, I need to make sure that fatigue is warranted and not the result of trying to do things in my own strength.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is a profound truth that I need to meditate on and to take note — take note of how much I block You from giving me the energy needed for each day, and make sure that for each thing I do, I am relying on You.

No comments: