August 1, 2018

Thinking fast, thinking slowly . . .


A newsletter from a novelist has a section on time/life management. It is not specific to writers and that section is the biggest reason I subscribe. This week, he outlines helpful tips from a book on procrastination. Since I struggle with that, he caught my attention.

One tip was related to the way we think. Fast thinking is used when in danger. We react spontaneously and without much thought. Then we have slow thinking, the pondering needed when solving a problem or making an important decision. When it comes to procrastination, that happens with fast thinking: “I don’t feel like doing this” so it is set aside. The tip is to take ten minutes and think about the task. Slow down my mind and give some time to consider this task. Do I really need this in my life? What is holding me back? Mere feelings? Or uncertainty about how to do the task? If so, can I do some research and find out?

He says to make that first step ‘ridiculously’ easy because that often creates momentum. Even doing research about the next step can break the pattern of putting things off.

This method works for me. I have a large project that seems to take forever, but procrastinating will not get it finished. Thinking about the importance of completion helps me to ‘do the next thing’ and when I do the next thing, I find myself going on to the next and the next, making good progress.

Today’s devotional verse has me thinking about procrastination and my spiritual life. David directed these words to his son but the principle applies to me too:

“And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.” (1 Chronicles 28:9)

He had much more advice, but these beginning words are talking about slow thinking. As a child of God, I know that my sinfulness often shows up when my mind jumps into fast mode and I don’t give thought to what I am doing; it just happens. However, if I stop and give it more thorough and longer attention, I can see that giving in to that temptation is not a good idea.

This can work the other way too. God says:

“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)

Renewal of the mind means having my fast and sinful thinking changed. It requires slowing down, meditating on the Word of God and letting it permeate my thoughts. As my mind changes and conforms to the mind of God, then my spontaneous thoughts will be godly and come quickly. In many cases, the result will pop out in word or action so easily that I will even say to myself, “Where did that come from?”

Of course this is the work of the Holy Spirit. My ordinary way of quick-thinking works for some things, but usually gets me into trouble. God is teaching me that when He wants a quick response, it can only come from a renewed mind that has learned to listen and respond to the mind of God, not my own. This means that I read the Word of God regularly, think about what I’ve read and meditate on it, and put it into practice. Slow thinking.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, faith in You involves knowing You personally and serving You with a whole heart and a willing mind. You know how I think and the ways my mind needs renewal. Thank You for the power of the Holy Spirit and for the reality that You can change the way I think. Fast or slow, I want all my thoughts to come from You and conform to Your will. Increase my ability to slow down and meditate on You and what You are saying to me.

No comments: