August 13, 2018

Pulling out the roots . . .


I’m still thinking about the person who grumbled and criticized to the point I felt battered by negativity. This morning I began to question my own faith. However, the Holy Spirit is reminding me of the promises of God and how much He has done in my life.

“See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no ‘root of bitterness’ springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled." (Hebrews 12:15)

The grumbler allowed this ‘root of bitterness’ to spring up. It causes trouble (a Greek word for annoying or harassing others). It also defiles. That word means being marked, stained or discolored with foreign matter. That is how I feel; harassed and discolored. What can I do about this?

Tozer’s words for today hint at answers. At first reading, it seemed he edited his thoughts too much, that he was giving only an outline when I need a full discourse. God whispers to me that I know how to fill it out and not to expect the solution dumped on me without spending time with Him.

Tozer writes: “Harmony within our own hearts depends mostly upon our getting into harmony with God. Morning comes not by our pushing out the darkness but by waiting for the coming of the sun.”

Waiting on God is easy when the days are smooth and without stress. Today I realize just how selfishly I want comfort rather than doing something to erase the tension from ‘roots of bitterness’ that are harassing me.

Tozer writes that whatever may be wrong in the life of any church may be cleared up by recognizing the quality of the trouble and dealing with it at the root. This seems true of individual believers as well. I’ve often confessed symptoms only to have the sin problem resurface. God helps with symptoms but His cure is for the disease, the root of it. Therefore I need to ask myself hard questions.

The most challenging question is this: Am I upset with this person because I sometimes do what he did — grumble instead of being thankful, complain instead of appreciating all that God is doing? How often do I use criticism to bring down others in an effort to be ‘better’ than them? Even my being upset with this man could be evidence of my own spiritual pride.

Tozer says prayer, humility and a generous application of the Spirit of Christ will cure just about anything. We try carnal medicines for our body and psychology for our souls, neglecting the grace God gives, grace that will overcome our sin and weaknesses. He is right. Grace is always the need and the answer. I just need to get on my knees before the throne and ask for it.

“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)
“Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.” (Hebrews 12:12–14)

^^^^^^^^^
Lord, I understand. This is a challenge to express in writing, yet You know my heart and hear my prayers. Thank You for mercy, grace, healing and holiness. All I need is in You.

No comments: