August 6, 2018

Moving forward in faith


Today I was struggling. My doctors say I must not only restrict sodium, but also potassium. A new medication has messed with the balance of potassium. I am not a salt lover, so the sodium restriction is a challenge only when eating out. However, potassium is in many foods that I would normally eat, particularly the fruit and vegetables of the summer. Yesterday I was complaining way too much.

In the afternoon, we decided to go to a book store and to my amazement, I found a cookbook for people who are restricted from too much sodium and potassium. It even has menus and shopping lists, along with recipes. However, I soon realized I will need to do much more meal-planning, particularly for a combination that will not deprive my husband (or me) from the nutrients we need. Not easy. I was still complaining.

But all that grumbling robbed my joy and my strength. I felt crappy and finally realized this complaining had to stop. I took it to the Lord and He gave me Tozer’s devotional thoughts and this passage from the New Testament:

“Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.” (Philippians 3:13–16)

I also thought of this passage, especially the last sentence:

“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:11–13, italics mine)

The thoughts from Philippians 3 and Tozer’s writing are a huge encouragement. He says that the normal Bible direction is not backward, it is always forward. Jacob returned to the altar, but in doing so he did not go back, he went forward.

And the Prodigal Son did not say, “I will go back.” He said, “I will arise and go to my father.” From where he was, going to his father’s house was a forward step in his moral activities. It represented no retreat, but a distinct advance over his previous conduct.

This is the will of God, to move forward. I would like to go back to my former health, yet He wants me to consider this new and challenging situation as a step forward, an opportunity to rely on Him in a new way, and to experience His faithful in what seems like a time-consuming, no-fun obstacle. I can do this because of grace.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, relying on You in new situations has always been a blessing, yet many times the situations seem to be negative and I want to pray them away. I want to quit the meds that are helping my heart but messing with my kidneys. I want, I want, I want. You are showing me that Your will is perfect and Your way will bring out faith and the image of Christ in me. This is far better than my self-centered choices. Not only that, moving forward brings back joy and hope, even though up front this still seems very difficult. Keep assuring me — I can do all things through the grace of Your strength. As Tozer says, You want me to grow into something higher, not fall into the calamity of having my soul satisfied with its present condition or with lamenting over the past.

No comments: