August 9, 2018

God gives strength


This drop in my blood pressure has two symptoms. One is less energy. The other is becoming more contemplative. Instead of my usual action and tackling routine chores without thought, I’m stopping to think. God is using this to develop the ability to seek His will even for the least of things.

While I’m sad that my stubborn selfishness requires such extreme measures to break into a deeper obedience, there is joy in trusting the Lord in every situation, even with physical problems and weakness.

Tozer encourages me with his thoughts for today based on this doxology at the end of Romans:

“Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ!” Amen. (Romans 16:25–27)

God is able to make me strong, perhaps not physically, but that is okay. Being strong in obedience and to give Him glory is far better.

Yet I’ve had the questions of ‘why me?’ floating through my head. To this, Tozer says that whoever wants God’s best “becomes at once the object of the personal attention of the Holy Spirit.” He adds that I don’t need to wait for my church to grow or my family. I will not be held back in any way no matter the spiritual growth (or lack of it) of those around me. He writes, “God deals with the individual heart as exclusively as if only one existed.”

My first though after reading this was a question: Isn’t the Bible filled with admonitions and encouragement to the community, to the Body of Christ? Almost all the words “you” in the New Testament are plural. However, Tozer rightly says that faith in Christ must first be personal before it can be social.

Tozer also reminds me that I’ve prayed for revival in the Christian congregations here and the rest of North America. As he says about personal revival, so does history; it starts with an individual willing to bow before the Lord in total surrender.

How deeply do I want renewed spiritual life in God’s people? Am I willing to put my heart into it? even literally? Tozer says revival is a matter for the solitary heart.

This physical problem and its effect on my relationship with God may not have anything to do with renewal in the lives of others. It is God’s business, not mine. Instead, I am convinced He wants me to keep praying and continue to deeply loving Jesus.

^^^^^^^^^^
And I do love You Jesus. How could I not? You came to earth to save those who believe, granted me the faith necessary, and put on all blessing of salvation on me. Me? Certainly not because I am worthy but because it would bring You glory. Strengthen me that I might better cooperate with that goal.

P.S. After writing this, my BP increased, not yet normal but I feel much better. God is amazing and faithful to those verses from Romans.


No comments: