August 11, 2018

Gifted by God


Many years ago my sister went to a seminar on spiritual gifts. She shared with me what she learned and it became my focus for a time. I’ve taught several seminars, church leaders and individuals the principles that I learned.

While some lump all these gifts under one heading, the Bible seems to indicate three categories. There are gifts that manifest or reveal the Holy Spirit in a Christian when they are needed, such as the gift of wisdom, or healing, or speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 12). There are gifts of people given for special leadership tasks to equip the Body of Christ for ministry (Ephesians 4) and there are gifts of motivation that give believers the drive or desire to think and act in ways related to that gift (Romans 12 and 1 Peter 4).

However, the Bible makes it clear that we are never to wrangle over gifts, take pride in them, or use them for self-glory. These gifts are to build up the Body of Christ, to encourage godliness in each other. This cannot be done if they are not used, misunderstood, or misused.
“Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.” (1 Corinthians 12:27–31)
The ‘more excellent way’ is in the next chapter, the famous one that describes the love of God and how vital it is in all that I do. Without it, my speech is just noise, my faith is useless, and any sacrifices I might make are without gain. Love is considering the needs of others above my own.

It is easy to see the connection between love and spiritual gifts. 1 Corinthians 12:7 says their manifestation is for the common good. Ephesians 4:12 says they are for the common good. Romans 12 says we are motivated in different ways to bless one another as members of the same body. That is, not everyone is an eye, or a hand, or a mouth, but all are needed. 1 Peter says we use those gifts to serve one another.

I’m particularly drawn to motivation gifts because they help me understand why people respond in different ways to the same situation. One illustration is what might happen if someone spills their dessert . . .

The leader might send someone for a mop, another for a broom and dust pan. The prophet or discerner might say something like this is what happens when you are not careful. The teacher might explain it spilled because it was too heavy on one side. The server might offer to help clean it up. The giver might offer to pay for it. The exhorter might say next time we can make sure it is put closer to the middle of the table. The compassion person might tell the person it could have happened to anyone and give the person a hug.

I say ‘might’ because if love is involved, the responses will depend on who did the spilling: a small child, an elderly person with shaky hands, or a youngster who was careless.

Spiritual gifts explain why others do what they do. For example, the compassion people are touchy-feely in situations where a teacher might see the problem as a lousy way to think. Conflict is avoided by understanding the perspective of these gifts, but also exercising that ‘more excellent way.’

For this and other reasons, Tozer writes, “The Holy Spirit desires to take us and control us and use us as instruments and organs through whom He can express Himself in the body of Christ . . . The Spirit of God, His presence and His gifts are not simply desirable in our Christian congregations; they are absolutely imperative.” I agree!

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, not all of us have a full understanding of spiritual gifts, but we do know that we are to love one another. May love be the operative word in my life. I know my gifts and desire that You use me to express Yourself, yet without love, anything I do will fall flat, even do damage. For this reason, I ask You to deepen my love for others. I want them to see You and know what You are like.

No comments: