August 2, 2018

Faith in Jesus changes my life


The deep-seated emotions and thoughts of the heart cannot be hidden; eventually they come out in words and actions. This is true of negatives like anger and hate, jealousy and fear, but it is also true of joy and love. Since these are products of the Holy Spirit, it makes sense that when the Holy Spirit lives in someone, He will make Himself known, just as living by my own strength apart from His input will make itself known.

Paul wrote to the Christians at Rome: “You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.” (Romans 8:9)

That is, if anyone is a Christian, the Spirit of God dwells in that person. Otherwise, “Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh.”

He goes on to say that those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit . . . “For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God”. (Romans 8:3–8)

Tozer gives me a sharp reminder that the Holy Spirit lives in me and therefore will make Himself known. He cannot help but do that. I can grieve Him, even quench Him, but He cannot be pushed out. His forever home is with God’s people, and it is the work of the Holy Spirit to pour the love of God into our hearts (Romans 5:5), a love that cannot help but be poured out into the lives of others (Galatians 5:22-23).

The Bible says I’m to trust the Lord with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding or be wise in my own eyes (Proverbs 3:5-7). Should I lean on myself, it comes out as pride and fleshy confidence, with love, peace, joy and all other spiritual fruit either gone or greatly diminished.

David wrote many songs. In this one, he demonstrates that he is trusting and filled with the Holy Spirit:

“I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.” (Psalm 18:1–3)

Personally, I have few enemies, but the enemies of the Body of Christ and Christianity in general are many. How can I live so that animosity is either not hurting me, or so it is gone entirely? Since godly living invites persecution, living as David did could actually increase that negativity, but in the power of the Spirit joy can be present, even in dire situations. It depends entirely on what/who controls my life — the flesh or the Spirit of God.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, trusting You makes external changes in my life as well as internal in my heart. I value integrity. Enable me to continually express on the outside what You have done and are doing in me. The needs can be humbling, but the power of God puts my mind on the needs of others, to love and serve them. You are an amazing God.

No comments: