August 18, 2018

DIY Christianity?


Tozer’s words for this day seem a bit of a rant. I understand his indignation at the Christian standards of our day. I agree that we need higher goals and deeper lives of faith. I’ve always thought it is ‘better to aim at the stars and hit the woodpile than aim at the woodpile and hit your foot’ but how many of us can control what God determines as our path? He planned that a long time ago . . .

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)

The OT says, “The heart of man plans his way but the Lord establishes his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)

Most of God’s commands are about attitudes, not about job descriptions, and those attitudes are for all of us. If He puts anyone in a position of authority, He gives a high standard for that position. For instance . . .

“Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things.” (1 Timothy 3:8–11)

Does this mean that the ordinary people in the congregation are no less dignified with a clear conscience and faithfulness? I don’t think so. Yet in my experience with God’s work in my life and that of others is that God is doing the work of making His people into what He wants. I cannot do it in my own life, never mind in the lives of others. I can pray for them, share with them the will and power of God, but what comes out of that is His business.

Teaching is important. As Tozer says, good discipleship content and methods are also important, but what do you do with those who are not interested or willing to change or in going deeper with Jesus Christ? I can “insist on New Testament sainthood” with all diligence and effort, but only the Holy Spirit can make it happen.

The Bible has much to say about a pure heart, but not a whole lot on how to have it. One verse stands out as an important but often neglected discipline in a Christian’s life:

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

This requires several things. First that I am aware of and willing to admit my sin, to agree with God about whatever I do that is contrary to His will. To gain that awareness, I need to be in His Word and listening to Him without making excuses or ignoring conviction from the Holy Spirit. I can teach others to do the same, but I cannot make them do it!

Second, I need to believe that God forgives and quit beating myself up over my failures. Doing that is just as self-centered as the sins I commit. I can teach that to others also, but it is God’s work to make it happen.

Third, I need to trust Him for the cleansing. I cannot pull up my own bootstraps or take out of my heart the junk that listens to the appeals of the world, the flesh and the devil. This saving work is God’s work, not only in me but in others. I can teach them that but only the Holy Spirit can make it happen.

Taking a step back, it seems to me that many Christians do not recognize sinfulness or their lack of faith. I’ve a relative who grumbles all the time, as if God is not in control and does not know what He is doing. I know many who are never thankful, always wanting more. The is also much DIY (do it yourself) thinking in Christianity, again the idea that God is not needed for much of anything.

Tozer lauds the Christians in the New Testament as saints of a higher class, but were they? Paul wrote letters to many congregations admonishing them to stop sin, confess sin, live for Christ. They needed to grow just as we do. Again, this is not to excuse slackness in disciple-making but to put me on my knees before God, interceding for other Christians to become more like Jesus and encouraging their growth in whatever ways God leads me. I need their prayers and encouragement too.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, the more I read the Bible the more I realize that spiritual growth is Your work requiring our cooperation, yet the emphasis is on Your salvation work. You took Saul and transformed him into Paul. He did as You told him, but without You, he was no saint. Some of the OT family of God helped the others get into the promised land but God allowed them to go back to the other side of the river. Not every believer is even named nor is perfection reached by any. Again, we need to aim high for You say we are to be perfect like our Father in heaven is perfect (Matthew 5:48). At the same time, our perfection is never in ourselves but in You. Perhaps that is the missing ingredient — our DIY world has invaded our theology and our churches and some have forgotten they cannot save themselves.

No comments: