July 19, 2018

Not everyone is a pastor, but . . .


The two letters in the New Testament that were written to Timothy are filled with instruction that applies to this young pastor. They have value for today’s pastors, and even for ordinary people like me. The instruction is based on principles, many of them timeless. I am not a pastor but will not skip these two books.

For example, in the NT Greek, the word ‘practice’ means the same as it does in English, only in the following context, there is an addition; immerse yourself in it! Practice is learning by repetition; here it is strenuous repetition dedicated to making progress . . .

“Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.” (1 Timothy 4:15–16)

Piano students know about practice. Without it, they do not progress in their ability to play. Quilters know this too. If I don’t practice, that longarm machine will always be smarter than I am. Tozer says this applies the Christian life, particularly the necessity of self-discipline and genuine commitment to Christ. I’m not to be careless in the way I live. I’m not to let Christian freedom, the blessings of life, and God’s goodness result in not bothering to pay attention to how I think, talk and behave.

Part of practice includes care of the details. No artist can do well without taking care of his instruments, such as tight strings on his violin or clean brushes along with tightened lids on her paints. Those ‘little’ things matter. I don’t play a violin but have painted. I know what will ruin my brushes and tubes. I also use sewing machines and items in the kitchen that will fail if I’m not ‘disciplined’ to care for them.

God is just as concerned with all details in my life. He wants me to be in tune with the Holy Spirit so I can live in harmony with His plans. However, being in tune requires paying attention, listening for His voice, caring that my life is in harmony with God. Otherwise, not only will I fail to hear and understand His voice but I will not bother with obedience.

It is said that practice makes perfect. This applies to music, art and quilting stitches yet even in those activities, I need the Holy Spirit to help me. For instance, one section of a quilt sat undone because I didn’t know what to do with it. After days of procrastination, I asked the Lord to help me, turned on the machine and as soon as the needle went down, He gave me ideas that made the task easy. I was surprised and delighted.

In this and in many other activities, the Holy Spirit comes through for me whether I practice or not. Practice is important but no more so than having an attitude of trusting the Lord. I could practice all day long but without the Holy Spirit nothing will work out in my quilting stitches or in my spiritual life.

^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, there is a balance. You don’t want me to sluff off discipline as if my responsibilities are not important, yet at the same time You don’t want me to assume everything depends on me and how much I develop any skills that You gave me. You are God yet lived here on earth as a man — in total dependence upon the Father and the Spirit. I need to be more like You!


No comments: