July 10, 2018

Hard to get moving?


Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its position and state of motion. This includes changes to the object's speed, direction, or state of rest. Inertia is also defined as the tendency of objects to keep moving in a straight line at a constant velocity. The principle of inertia is one of the fundamental principles in classical physics that are still used to describe the motion of objects and how they are affected by the applied forces on them. This month, my word is ‘inertia.’

Once I get started on anything, I don’t want to quit, but getting started is a challenge. Prayer falls into this category. For that reason, Tozer’s illustration speaks to my inertia. He tells of an older Christian who was asked, “Which is the more important: reading God’s Word or praying?” To which he replied, “Which is more important to a bird: the right wing or the left?”

Too often I’m flying on one wing. I love reading and studying God’s Word but prayer gives me the same feeling as jumping into a cool pool. Once I get in there, the water is fine, but each day the call to talk to God is often marked by procrastination and a sense of ‘I don’t want to. It is too hard.’

For me, this is a symptom. God has yet to impress upon me some truths about Him and about myself. Some of them are in this section written by King David:

“My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.” (Psalm 63:5–8)

Rather than dwell on my problems, there are solutions in this passage. I can remember what God has done to help me and let thoughts of His blessings fill my mind when I am in bed. I can praise God joyfully because of all He has done, even sing for joy — but quietly — my singing is not that great. I can also cling to Him emotionally, intellectually and willfully with my soul as I practice the art of praise.

The Holy Spirit reminds me of one reasons I find prayer difficult. Too often I’m praying more requests than giving praise and thanksgiving. I too easily go on a ‘shopping trip’ instead of a happy vacation from the cares of life. I too easily dwell on all the stuff that needs ‘fixing’ instead of being delighted in all that God has already done. Instead of gratitude and contentment, I’m too often wanting more.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You know this is not true all the time. Inertia means that once I start to pray, I don’t want to stop. However, You know my struggles in getting started. Grant me grace to overcome this tendency. I know that our enemy is not happy when Your people pray and will do whatever he can to put an end to it. As Tozer writes today, I want to want You. I long to be filled with longing. I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Your glory.

No comments: