July 13, 2018

Flipped focus


I’m distracted this morning. An electrolyte blood test yesterday showed a rise in potassium so my doctor wants it repeated. I was curious about that level because my diet says I’m not getting enough so checked a reputable USA clinic. The first page I looked at said that a false rise can happen in a blood sample and the test needs to be repeated. My initial reaction was “what a bother” since I’m feeling great. But if a recheck is needed, then I must do it.

Yet as I think about it, my focus has flipped. I feel as if I have two minds at war with each other. Can I turn this ‘event’ into an illustration such as ‘free fine’ spiritually does not exclude repeated checkups? Am I annoyed with this ‘extra worry’ because my heart would rather skip daily exams, including those by the Great Physician?

One thing for certain, I can quickly turn from thinking of how to glorify God to self- focused thoughts. The NT tells me better ways to deal with the ‘events’ of life that I’d rather not have:

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:24–27)

This passage makes clear he suffered for the sake of the church, which is a noble thing, but also rejoices in that suffering. He is doing what James said all Christians should do . . .

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2–4)

Is it possible that contrary to what I think, my ideas of “perfect and complete” are more along the lines of ‘happy and healthy’ rather than what God is telling me? The Greek meaning of ‘perfect and complete’ are more about being fully mature and without blame. Yikes.

This motivates another question: what makes me feel good about life? Going back to Colossians, It should be that God has revealed to me His mystery and that Christ lives in me. However, I must admit that sometimes it is more focused on things like having my to-do list checked off, or finished a project, or making someone smile. Not that there is anything wrong with those things, but if they do not happen, then what? Do I focus on the realities of being a child of God? They are always mine. Shouldn’t this focus produce joy and contentment, even in trials?

Tozer says, “The Spirit indwelt life is not a special deluxe edition of Christianity to be enjoyed by a certain rare and privileged few who happen to be made of finer and more sensitive stuff than the rest. Rather, it is the normal state for every redeemed man and woman the world over.” Bit today, I’m feeling abnormal, or at least subnormal.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I usually spout that normal is only a setting on the dryer, yet I sometimes long for a normal day where nothing extreme happens, no urgent prayer requests, no bad news or even good news, just a day with You in peace and quiet. I’m supposed to trust You with the events of life, even with the possibility of things like liver failure or just the annoyance of one more blood test. Again, grace is needed so I can yield to Your will and trust You with all the stuff of life.

No comments: