July 22, 2018

Faith in Christ equals persistent obedience


An Internet quilt show ends each segment with the hosts saying, “It’s a new day — every day.” While they are not trying to be biblical, I’m thinking how it applies to the promises of God when struggles with sin get me discouraged. Each day, the Lord offers me a fresh start and overcoming power for a new day. . .

“But he gives more grace. Therefore (Scripture) says, ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’ Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.” (James 4:6–10)

My struggles vary in seriousness, at least in my mind. Perhaps I’ve been over-critical of someone else, or angry with my husband for no good reason, or disobedient to the Holy Spirit in speaking up when I’d rather not. Sometimes it is simply eating out of gluttony rather than need or staying up too late when the Lord is nudging me to get to bed. I’m not out robbing banks or cursing Him or worshiping idols, yet the ‘little’ sins put a stain on holiness too.

Tozer says God Himself is the holiness and the purity I need. I know that. This holiness is not something that comes and goes but is always with me because God is always with me. The problems come when I stop yielding to Him. Instead of allowing His Spirit to fill a surrendered and trusting heart, I slip into old habits of trusting myself and my own judgment or simply wanting what my old nature wants instead of trusting and obeying Him.

Christ is my sanctification, my holiness. He lives in my heart and works in me to cleanse and purify sin. However, I must consent and cooperate. Is it possible to become tired of the process? To let my guard down and simply slide off the path? It is not only possible but seems so easy.

Some might say that I am too hard on myself, that God’s grace is not as picky as I am. I might not say it, but my reply might be, “What about verses like those from James (above)? Or like these”:

“As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’ And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one’s deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.” (1 Peter 1:14–19)

I can make lots of excuses. Who cares if I over-eat or ignore the nudges of my conscience? But I know better. God cares. He says, “Be holy in ALL your conduct” and do this out of respect for Jesus Christ who shed His blood to rescue me from the futility of life governed by my sinful self.

^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You are holy and You live in me. I am Your disciple and given new life so I can reflect Your image in this dark world. Some of my bad habits may not be visible to others, but should a time come for me to shine, my ability to do so will be affected by those habits that cling like leeches and muddy the reflection. I need more grace to be the person You want me to be, not only in the larger issues but also in the tiniest hints of rebellion. Enable me to be humble and draw nearer to You.

1 comment:

Darrell said...

Just got back from vaca. Got some catching up to do!