June 3, 2018

WWJD?


This morning, Tozer’s devotional says that Christianity is the religion of the divine example and bids his readers to “Ask yourself what would Jesus do if He were here?”

This echoes a book by that title, shortened to WWJD? This acronym was put on bracelets, t-shirts, etc. to remind Christians to ask themselves that question and govern their lives accordingly.

Personally, I’ve not found that question very helpful. I do pray for the Lord to guide me but have learned that I cannot predict what He will do; I’ve never been able to second-guess God. In other words, most of the time I’ve no idea what Jesus would do.

However, there are clues. The Bible tells the attitudes of Jesus. He is forgiving, loving, hates sin and so on. I’m supposed to think like He thinks. By that, I often can figure out what I should do based on His attitudes.

For instance, the following passage describes the heart of a Christian who loves Jesus and wants to do what He would do. It parallels an almost identical passage in Ephesians showing that these thoughts and behaviors are what I would be thinking and doing when filled with the Holy Spirit . . .
“Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:12–17)
Because of these verses, I can figure out what Jesus would do if another believer is in trouble, or has sinned, or is bragging, or is irritating. I can figure out what Jesus would do if someone is acting in ignorance or grumbling. I can also figure out what Jesus would do if I were given a ghastly chore or someone took advantage of me. Nearly every situation of conflict and other problems has an answer in the above passage.

Life poses other questions, however. Some are more vital than others. For instance, where should I work? What kind of coat should I buy? How often do I take a vacation? What should I have for supper? Some Christians would say we are to use common sense — even though that commodity is not as common as they suppose. Others say if you are not willfully sinning you can do whatever you want to do. I’m a bit leery of that too because my ‘I-wants’ can take me down a slippery slope.

Instead, I prefer the first choice of having the attitudes of Jesus Christ. These flow out of being filled with the Spirit and having His Word richly implanted in my head and heart. Knowing the power of sin, this is no guarantee that all choices will be perfect, yet He makes this promise:
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5–6)
Besides, thinking I know what Jesus would do can be spiritual pride, a form of trusting my own understanding. Far better to go to Him in humility that I haven’t a clue what to do but do know He will guide me. The outcome is usually a surprise — not contrary to His Word yet nevertheless an answer that I’d not have figured out on my own.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You tell me to follow You like a child takes the hand of her father having no clue where the path will lead but trusting that daddy knows best because he always does. I do not always need to know WWJD, only to humbly hold tight to Your faithful hand.

No comments: