June 23, 2018

Prepared for a place . . .


Jesus was leaving. The disciples were upset. He knew what they needed to hear.

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” (John 14:1–3)

I was a new Christian the first time I read this. I thought, “Oh good, Jesus knows what it is like to be a homemaker!”

That is not a silly thought. Jesus knows what I need to hear. The Bible talks about Him relating to our lives in every say, except that He didn’t sin. I cannot imagine Jesus doing my household chores yet have even a more difficult time imagining me doing my chores without sin! For one thing, I grumble and complain, either about the chore itself or about the aches and pains it might cause. Jesus did not do that nor is He doing it now as He prepares a place for me.

Instead, Jesus is patient in His work. I know it because while He prepares me for that place, He does it without grumbling or complaining. Those times that I mess up, forget His grace, act as if I am running my own life, or just neglect my responsibilities, He puts His arm around me and encourages me

Tozer asks if I miss the love, mercy and grace of God in this life, who is to be blamed? Certainly not the God who sits on the throne! He made full provision for my salvation. Jesus died for my sins and rose again for my justification. He sent the Holy Spirit, so I have all that I need to serve Him, whether I’m witnessing to my neighbor or washing dishes.

This devotional reminds me that my complaints do not fit with my place. I’m not yet ready for the perfection of eternity. I need to think more about God’s work in me and be more cooperative.

These words also remind me of a friend who laid her hands on me and prayed for the health of my a-fib heart. Then she said, “God heals you. Now act like it.” We chuckle together yet there is great wisdom in acting according to what God says we are.

For instance, He says this . . .

“And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be.… Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.… And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.… And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.” (Revelation 22:12, 14, 17)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, because You have given me Your great salvation, I need to act like it, to rejoice in Your amazing grace. I do have all I need — for all that You give me to do. The water of life is mine. Grace to obey is mine. I have access to all that You have provided for me. This life is worth the struggles. I will spend eternity in that place You are making for me because You have given me whatever I need to belong there.


No comments: