June 14, 2018

Metamorphosis


When a caterpillar becomes a butterfly, the transformation is from one entity to a totally different creature. Science can see it happening, yet this process is mostly a mystery. How can a crawling critter with many legs become a four-winged, six-legged flying beauty?

This metamorphosis happens in a cocoon over a short period of time, but the process of transformation for a Christian takes a bit longer. Also, the change is not hidden in a pupa or chrysalis but in plain sight for the world to see and marvel. The New Testament describes it like this:

“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:1–2)

The word translated ‘transformed’ is from the same Greek word as metamorphosis — because it describes a process where God changes a person from what they once were to a totally different creature. While the new person is destined to be beautiful, some of us foolishly put up a fight — hence the commands: “Do not conform. . .” and “be transformed.”

Tozer says that Jesus did not come to restore sinners to be like Adam was before sin entered the world. While this is a lofty goal, God’s plan is far more amazing; He sent His Son so that His people could be transformed into His image, not like Adam but far greater and totally different than the lowly creatures we once were.

This has a tremendous effect on my self-esteem. I can easily see the fallen sinner part. I can even imagine myself walking in the garden of Eden with God like Adam did. However, God has an even greater destiny for me; He is shaping me into the image of His Son!

“Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” (1 John 3:2–3)

The promise is sure, yet in these verses I can see that the worm is not passive. God does the work, but the transformation requires cooperation. I’m to put off the old me and while the metaphor is like taking off old and ruined garments, saying NO to sin involves far more than a simple selection of new behavior. To be transformed requires a vital connection to the Holy Spirit. Without a relationship with the Lord, I cannot do this.

Thankfully, He is here to help me. He gives me new life, and the more I know Him, the more I can walk in that life as I “put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.” (Colossians 3:10)

Again, He does the transforming. Part of it is renewing my mind by using His Word to transform the way I think. Part of it is using everything else for my good toward that end, that I might be like Jesus: 

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.” (Romans 8:28–30)

These verses describe the salvation process. He plans, calls, gives new life including justification, and then works in me the necessary changes. My part is not to resist it, but yield to Him and let my thinking, words, actions, be changed. As Tozer says, I choose to be transformed to His image, but I cannot create that image by my own morality or struggles to be righteous. I must be created anew in His likeness by His own Spirit and stamped with His resemblance by His heavenly seal impressed directly upon my heart from His hand.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, the wonder of moths and butterflies is an example of the wonder of salvation. This reality raises my sense of who I am in Christ, but also encourages me in the process. I’m reminded that those critters must break out of their cocoons without outside help. Otherwise they will not have the strength needed to live their transformed lives. This is the biggest difference between me and a caterpillar — they work hard to come forth, but I do not do this alone; You grant the grace to change. While the struggles I face trying to put off the old and put on the new are important to my spiritual well-being, the power needed to face each day comes from You.


No comments: