June 15, 2018

It’s a ‘bit’ part not a starring role


I’ve an old book called “His Part and Ours” (or something close) that has helped me notice those two distinctions when reading the Bible. This is helpful because I am silly enough to get into God’s to-do list and neglect my own responsibilities or to give God my list and not respond to His work as He expects.

These two verses remind me of what God does and how I need to respond:

“Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind! In the cover of your presence you hide them from the plots of men; you store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.” (Psalm 31:19–20)

In truth, God does what He does out of His abundant goodness. He stores it up for His people, for me. I can imagine a large container, perhaps the entire universe filled with the goodness of God. Much of it has already been poured out in Christ and God’s redemption, yet what marvels await me in that storehouse!
He also works that goodness for me so that all can see it. I am on the stage in the drama of God revealing Himself to the world and He does it through being good to His people, to me.

Another item on God’s to-do list is that He, by His very presence, hides me from those who plot evil. He protects me, even stores me in His shelter from those who would verbally attack. His goodness and the fact of His presence is my shield and my refuge.

My part is simple. Fear God. Take refuge in Him in the sight of everyone. Allow God to be my protection and while it does not say it here, this implies that I trust Him with whatever might be allowed to get at me, for God knows what kinds of trials will build and strengthen my faith.

Fearing God is different from being terrified of a lion or other danger. Fearing Him is about reference, about the kind of reference that is like a fearful awe. Perhaps it is like standing on the shore of the Niagara River, near the falls but safe behind the fence, or like being taken home on the back of a wild stallion who knows the way; who needs no bridle or guidance from me. Sometimes a bit scary but mostly an exciting adventure.

Taking refuge in Him hides me yet these words seem to say that He intends me to hide so everyone can see me hiding. That is, my trust in Jesus Christ as my refuge and strength is not a ‘private matter’ as some would claim. It is to be open, obvious, vocal at times yet very visible. My faith is supposed to be something others can observe.

This brings the need of God’s protection from plots and attacks. The world out there will not go after me if my faith is kept private. However, I am to live it publicly . . .

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14–16)

The goal of my visible faith in God is that God is glorified, yet the Bible warns that it can also result in persecution: “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” (2 Timothy 3:12)

This warning is not that I go into hiding so no one will see me, but my part concerning His protection is that I will hide myself in Him so everyone will see that the Lord is my stronghold. The emphasis is not ‘hiding from the world’ but ‘hiding in the Lord.’

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, Lord of all goodness, I take refuge in You from the nasty stuff of life, but not so others are unable to see that I am trusting You. Otherwise, I will live a nice, safe little life but few will realize what is keeping me safe. Thank You for doing Your part. May I continually and faithfully do mine!


No comments: