June 16, 2018

God-given aspiration . . .


A person’s life is shaped by many things; genetics, environment, training, example, events, and so on. Tozer says in today’s devotional reading that this list includes the ideals that we admire. That is, we strive for that which we deeply aspire to. When asked, the hockey star wanted that from childhood. The doctor wanted that from the time he knew about doctors. The artist was drawing as soon as she could lift a pencil. The godly Christian wanted to be like Jesus. The more the Holy Spirit revealed Him, the deeper his desire became!

Tozer says a deep longing to be like Jesus greatly aids a Christlike life. He adds, “Ask God to give you a high conception of the character of Christ and an intense desire to be like Him and you will never rest until you reach your ideal.”

Upon reflection, I agree yet must add that this deep desire also comes from not being satisfied with the status quo, of wanting to be more than a sinner, more than a saved sinner, more than whatever I have been. While I know that the transformation is God’s work, I also know the importance of yielding in obedience, of willingly cooperating with God’s plans.

As for life-shaping things, it is good to think about them too. For me, it was good parents who loved me, a childhood illness, having horses, loving art, poor choices, divorce, remarriage, books, some very special people and so on, but most of all the Book of books — God’s Word, the power of God’s grace and the influence of His people. Learning the reality of how to live God’s way because of what He has done has greatly changed my life. I’m reflecting on Scripture that I love, such as this passage from the Old Testament: 

“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.” (Psalm 1:1–6)

And this one from the New Testament:

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:28–39)

My life has been drawn to Christ because of the joy and spiritual prosperity of walking with Him, and because of His presence with me through good and bad and His power to use both to shape me. His persistence to love me and stick with me no matter what is like a magnet. So also is His ability to slay the old ways and bring to power a new life. His grace has set this goal for me — to love Him and be like Jesus.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, today is a day for thanksgiving, for being glad that You know the way that I take, the path that You have put me on, and that despite my stumbling, my many mistakes, and even my resistance, You will take me from this life into the next with grace, forgiveness, and a power that is totally beyond my feeble abilities and even greater than all my deepest desires.

No comments: