June 19, 2018

Blind to God, oblivious to hypocrisy?


Yesterday, a video appeared on social media showing a member of Canadian parliament asking for an explanation. The government has passed a law saying those who apply for grants to hire summer students can get the money only if they agree with certain government policies. Otherwise, they are ‘prejudiced’ and ‘hate’ the people they will not hire.

The MP cited this law, then showed a clip of a group inciting hate toward Jews. Their leader ranted that those people should be hauled away in body bags. Then she asked why that group received funds to hire people, but those who want to help the homeless and do good for needy people are turned down? Good question.

Our PM responded with total denial that the government encouraged any form of hate and his words suggested that those who refuse to agree with their policies are guilty and not eligible because of their refusal. He ignored her concern about this anti-Semantic group.

I was not happy and am still not happy, even though the Word of God explains why such things happen . . .

“Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. But that is not the way you learned Christ!— assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” (Ephesians 4:17–24)

Those who are not walking with the Lord are ignorant, hard of heart, callous, and unable to even realize the corruption that has happened to them. This sounds harsh, but the truth of it can be seen in every newspaper every day. It isn’t just government leaders. I’ve known well-meaning people who are as oblivious to their sin as they are to the offer of renewal from God that can change their lives. Their understanding of God is hazy at best and for the most part, Jesus is a mere swear word.

This week I had to fill out a form that asked me to list three things that stress me the most. The rest of the form is finished but I’m not sure how to answer that question. What keeps coming to mind is: sin, my own and that of others. I can confess my sin and pray about the sin of others, but if there is no response and no repentance, I am burdened by it. Anyone who knows that emotion and concern would call it ‘stress.’ 

I know the attitude of God toward me and toward all His children. We are forgiven and considered as though we had never sinned. Satan sometimes nags at me about my past sins and I know how to answer that. He also can throw a vague sense of guilt at me and put a damper on my joy and my prayer life yet I’m learning that his accusations are foggy and unclear. The Holy Spirit is not like that. If God wants to convict me of a bad attitude or action, He is very specific — and I know exactly what it is and what to do about it . . . 

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

This is the marvel of knowing Jesus. While perfection will not happen until eternity, discernment is valued right now. I can choose. Will I walk in the futility of my mind like an unbeliever whose heart is dark and callous? Or will I be alert to the Holy Spirit, aware of my sinfulness, and let God shine light on it and make me soft and willing to change?

^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m so thankful for truth and the gift of understanding You. I’m thankful I can pray for those who rule our nation and the world. If nothing happens, I’m stressed, not because Your silence disappoints me but because their sin is harming them and others. As they, or as anyone else shakes their fist in Your face, I’m stressed. Yet I know that I’m only responsible for my own life. Keep me alert, aware and mindful to put off that old self and totally rely on You to give me all that I need to fit into Your plans.

No comments: