June 18, 2018

A Controversial Subject


Yesterday our pastor tackled a passage of Scripture that he said was full of landmines. We knew the passage and had been praying that God would give him wisdom because in our culture, this sermon could be divisive. However, the Lord filled this man with His Spirit and his words were well-received.

How does that happen? The Spirit of God is a gift from God and through the Spirit, we can do all things. He can present truth in a way that blesses us. He can open our eyes to the realities of God’s kingdom. The disciples first experienced the Holy Spirit after the resurrection:

“On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.’ (John 20:19–23)

This first encounter described the Lord giving them the Holy Spirit who gave them the power to forgive. I think this is less of a general “God forgives you” and more about releasing their own unforgiveness; “I forgive you.” We cannot do that without the Spirit of God.

Tozer says we Him: “more of His wisdom, His counsel, His power, His knowledge.” This truth came out again — in yesterday’s sermon. The passage is in Ephesians 5:22ff about marriage and what God expects from husbands, wives, parents, children. The pastor kept pointing to the cultural context where this would bring a radical change and to the biblical context — showing that none of it happens without being filled with the Spirit. In other words, when my life is yielded to the Spirit and I am doing as He motivates, then my marriage and family life will be as the Bible describes.

Tozer says that many churches rely too much on human talents and educated abilities. We look for degrees instead of putting Christlike character at the top of the list. Personality, popularity, and speaking ability are examined rather than a leader’s humility and realization of their own need to be Spirit-filled.

God has taught me the importance of this in my own life through all my mistakes and hardships that happened because I was depending on myself rather than Him. He can do whatever He wants in my life if I get out of His way. If not, He is polite and lets me try. This is learning the hard way!

Sometimes the letters behind a person’s name can interfere with a person’s perception of a leader, even a leader’s perception of themselves. The ministry of the Holy Spirit in a simple soul is more powerful that the PhD in a brilliant and popular person. Seeking to be like Jesus is teaching me to look for that in people, not devaluing their other credentials, but keeping the right priority. As Tozer says, “We need the Holy Spirit more and more, and we need human helps less and less!”

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I thank you that our pastor is a man of prayer and humility, that he relies on You and that he can present a message that blesses our large congregation with fresh truths from You that produce unity and spiritual growth, not division. Of all the thoughts I’ve heard about Ephesians 5 and marriage, this one was the best. It pointed to my need to depend on You and to be filled with the Holy Spirit. He alone supplies what I need so my life and my family can glorify You.

No comments: