May 7, 2018

The best perfume . . .


When God delivered His people from bondage in Egypt, they should have delightfully obeyed Him. However, they soon fell into sin, angering Moses who led them. This man talked with God about his task, wondering how he could be certain that God favored him and wondering how he could know the will of God for the remainder of their journey to the promised land. God had this response:

“My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14)

In my personal exodus when God delivered me from the penalty of sin, I expected to delightfully obey Him. However, I also sinned and became angry with myself for such foolishness. How could I stay under the smile of God and know His will for my life as I continually contradicted what I already knew? God gives me the same response:

“Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)

“Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

The name of Jesus, Emmanuel, means “God with us.” Sometimes when I am praying and feeling a bit lost or not sure about something, God whispers to me, “I am here.” When Jesus left this place, He sent the Holy Spirit to be with us forever. He is here — and He gives me rest.

Tozer talks about the provision of God — His Holy Spirit is His answer for those who hunger and thirst for a life that is well-pleasing to God. It is not about my knowledge or abilities but by the fact that His presence goes with me. It was for Moses, for God’s people, for the disciples, for the church, for me. We cannot go on without Him.

When anyone has this Presence and walks in it relying on the Holy Spirit, Tozer says they carry the fragrance of a kingdom that is supreme above the kingdoms of this world. I think of a certain elder in a church we attended in California. He had that holy life and to be near him felt like being in the presence of the Lord. These days, several more people also have that mysterious quality, the fragrance of His presence. This is of God and from God.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this is also greatly to be desired. Those who have it and walk in it are not aware of it, yet they are a blessing to everyone they encounter. When people ask me ‘what do you want to be when you grow up’ I used to say, “a sweet little old lady” but that has changed. I want to walk in holiness in Your presence with You as my perfume.

No comments: