May 17, 2018

Protected by my Father


Years ago, one of my husband’s relatives said to us, “You two have been through so much.” We didn’t have the foggiest clue what she was talking about. (Had she said it recently, that would be a different story.)

Her remark sticks because it describes something about the way others view Christians. If we are walking in the Spirit and living under the power and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, onlookers will see our circumstances in a different way than we see them. Even in our difficulties, He gives us joy and peace, sometimes to the point that we hardly notice the difficulties. Think of a child holding her father’s hand and walking through a pack of wolves. They are afraid of the man, but if the child sees them as growling puppies, not realizing that had she been alone, she would have been devoured.

Yet this walk with Jesus has a greater foundation than my personal safety. It also protects me from the condemnation of my sin . . .

“For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.” (Romans 8:3–5)

Because of Jesus, the law of God is fulfilled in me. I didn’t do it. I cannot do it. But Jesus did it for me, and because He lives in me, God counts or considers me righteous because of Him. This reminds me of the child who had so many allergies that he had to live and move in a large bubble, something like that ball we used to exercise our pet gerbil. Like him, I’m protected. I can move about freely, even bump into things but not be harmed. Onlookers might see the difficulties in my path, but only other Christians can see the bubble.

These verses also say that walking in the Spirit means thinking spiritual thoughts. Those sinful ideas and fleshy topics might come to mind, but they are outside the bubble as I rely on the power and grace of Jesus Christ to protect me.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’m very glad for this reminder today. Several things threaten me, including problems with my health. Yet in You, nothing can happen unless it is part of Your plan. The bubble that I live in is not an imaginary hiding place of my own doing, but genuine love and protection that You promise and give Your people. Bless Your Holy Name!

No comments: