May 2, 2018

Issues of the heart


Yesterday I had another echocardiogram. While my heart is not beating properly, I was gratified to see that the beats are nearly even and reasonable slower than I expected. I’ve occasionally said that having a heart that works as it should is not as important as having a pure heart.

God’s people use the term ‘heart’ for more than the physical blood pump in our bodies. Biblically the heart is the center of a person’s thoughts, volition or choices, emotions, and conscience.

It is also the place of sin for those without a saving relationship with God based on faith. No matter how much the people of Israel wanted to obey God, their hearts needed a makeover. They were told:

“And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:6)

Tozer says obedience is the evidence and definition of our love for Christ. It is also the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit. I know that doing what God says is impossible without God’s help, yet if the effort is made with a sincere heart, the Holy Spirit comes to my aid and enables me.

Being able to love God with all my heart and soul is the greatest commandment. As usual, God convicts me about the various ways that I disobey Him. One of them is griping about things I don’t like. He says:

“Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world . . .” (Philippians 2:14–15)

Monday night someone said he wished complaining was not a sin. Another person added that everyone does it. We do. We all fall short. But that is not an excuse. Grumbling reflects an inner attitude. That is, in my heart I doubt that God is in control, sovereign, and forget that the stuff of life is not my enemy but His plan. It also is a blatant statement that I do not love God. I disobey Him every time I complain about anything.

Can I be cheerful about everything? James says I can do better than grumbling:

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2–4)

The bottom line is Christian maturity. I get there by being steadfast in trials that test my faith. To get 100% on those tests, I must consider them with joy, not with grumbling and complaining.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this is a challenging obedience right now. I’ve several things going on that are difficult, at least for me. I cannot see how You can use them to develop steadfast endurance in me. I know that I need the Holy Spirit to do it and that I must be willing to stop whining and start looking at them as You do. They are tools in Your hands to help me become the person You desire. Fill me up — I cannot do this without You.

No comments: