May 3, 2018

His light makes His people shine


A friend shared that when she became a Christian, people told her that it was obvious; she had a shining face. I’ve met people like that. They are filled with the Spirit of God and He writes Himself on their faces. If anyone mentions it, they are puzzled, unaware of the impression they give.

Tozer describes having the same experience. These people have a humility and gentleness of spirit yet are oblivious to the impact they have on others. Moses was one of them . . . 

“When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God.” (Exodus 34:29)

This is not about any other qualification than the person with the shining face has been in the presence of God. Once we sat in an adult Sunday school class with 2-3 men who had degrees in theology and one elderly lady — whose English was poor, but she was rich in wisdom. All of us learned more from her than anyone else. She was shiny of face, but more than that, her heart for God shone into our hearts.

I came to devotions this morning feeling needy. An unsaved friend is coming over to spend most of the day and I asked God to tell me what I need to hear, to give me instruction for this day. He tells me through this reading to focus on Him and let His Presence by my strength. I may not feel strong, but mirrors do not have to feel anything; they simply reflect.

Tozer’s words call me: “Nothing is necessary for you in maintaining a triumphant Christian life but just to . . .  put yourself in where the power is. Come unto God, unite yourself to God, and the doing power you have is infinite!”

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14–16)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I have about 30 minutes before the doorbell rings. Be as real to me as I can handle that I might be to my guest whatever it is that she needs for this day.

No comments: