May 19, 2018

Has anyone reached the peak?


Today’s devotional reading discusses mediocrity, a term from two Latin words that literally mean “halfway to the peak.” Tozer comments that this describes many Christians who are “morally above the hardened sinner but spiritually beneath the shining saint.”

I first thought he was talking about how the level of sin in a Christians life. Is that fair? We all sin. Then I wondered if he was comparing that sin to how much Christian ministry a person is ‘doing’ and reacted with protest. God does not call every Christian to great positions of influence or prominence. It is not fair to call them mediocre if they are doing all that God asks of them. Not everyone has the same to-do list from God.

Then my husband said that this was not about ‘doing’ but about ‘being.’ That is, a shining saint is walking in the Spirit with humility, serving the Lord whether in the pulpit, in the kitchen, or raising children.

These verses tell how to serve Him and the importance of choosing to do so.

“So fear the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord alone. But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:14–15)

Joshua reminds me that the choices I make of whom to serve influence who I am and what I do. My character and attitudes reflect that choice. This is the ‘being’ part. I am not to be motivated by worldly values such as ‘bigger, better and more’ but motivated by the commands and Spirit of God. What I do is the outcome of who I am and who I serve.

I can fiddle around with these thoughts yet must admit that Joshua’s words and Tozer’s comments convict me. I don’t see myself as a shining saint, however that is defined. For one thing, my efforts to share Jesus with others are weak and my love for Him and others is often replaced by selfishness and an uncaring attitude.

Tozer tells me to think of all He offers me by His blood and by His Spirit, by His sacrificial death on the cross, by His resurrection from the dead, by His ascension to the right hand of the Father, by His sending forth of the Holy Spirit. That makes me feel more convicted. So often I’m more concerned with me, myself and I, a far cry from being a shining saint.

Yet the poem at the end of this devotional gives a perspective that brings me back to a basic truth; who I am, how I speak and think, and the depth of my love is all about Jesus. I need to choose to serve Him and do this with the best of my ability, remembering that all I am and ever will be is about Him. He lives in me. He is my life. I must always choose to serve and obey Him. I cannot be a shining saint without Him, but I cannot shine if I refuse to be or do what He desires.

“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, when I am in Your presence, Your light is so bright as You shine with great beauty and grace. When I look in the mirror, my light seems small and insignificant. However, You are not asking me for bigger, better, and more, but to shine with the light that I have — wherever I am and with what whatever You have given me, always choosing to serve You.

No comments: