April 30, 2018

Unity is from the Holy Spirit and begins in our thinking . . .


The verse for today’s devotional reading connects worship and obedience to the ear of God . . .

We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him. (John 9:31)

Yesterday I didn’t feel particularly obedient but was focused on worship. Our church service, particularly the sermon, pointed to unity. God is the source of unity — and as members of His Body, we need to remember our part in maintaining it. As we sang the last couple of songs, I thought, “We should be holding hands." Our attendance is around 500 people and I didn’t think all of them would have that idea. However, as our youth pastor came to the front to close in prayer, he said, “This may seem strange, but I want you to do something different as we end this remarkable service; I want you to join hands.”

For me, that was an ‘amen’ on the service. God’s Spirit provides the unity; we just need to listen to Him and do what He says. He spoke to me, and maybe others, and certainly to the youth pastor to demonstrate this simple show of unity, something God has given to our church yet we must never take for granted. What a blessing!

Tozer reminds me again that our worship must be in the Spirit and in truth. We cannot leave either out of it for that makes worship impossible, heat with no light or doctrinally correct but cold. That lovely day would have been spoiled if the truth had been spoken and sang by people who did not care.

Tozer adds that when a person is yielded to God, believes the truth of God, and is filled with the Spirit of God, even his faintest whisper will be worship. However, if I harbor elements in my life that displease to Him, I cannot truly worship God on Sunday or Monday, or any other time. My life needs to be kept on short accounts with Him, every day of the week.

^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You have given me the Holy Spirit. He does the work of unifying my heart with Your heart and with the hearts of Your people. I cannot enjoy the latter if the first unity is not in place. Yesterday, You put the same thought in my head as You put in the youth pastor’s mind. That gave me a strong sense of unity with him, not that we need to think the same to be united, but in this situation, it worked that way. I also noted that listening to and sharing with others afterwards seemed to be easier — because we are all part of the same Body and have the same care and love for one another. It was a good day. Thank You.

No comments: