April 12, 2018

Spontaneous worship


We have at least three nature channels in our cable package. One of them shows oddities in creation and as I watch it, I am amazed that the narrators can say these things ‘evolved’ as if there is no designer in such a well-designed universe. Even the simplest mind would wonder how skunks can learn how to stink in order to protect themselves before all their predators kill every skunk.

Tozer tells of realizing that God is a master of geometry and all sorts of art, poetry and music. I look at flowers and other plants and see how He knows tone, color, variety, movement, every principle of design. The stories on those nature channels, despite references to ‘evolution’ put me in awe of our amazing God.

That said, it is also true that sin blinds human eyes. I don’t need to point to anyone else. Every time I get a burr under my saddle, I lose my vision of God. When life goes sideways, or disasters happen, or other people seem bent on doing evil, I begin to struggle with the grace and power of God. Where is it? Have I been duped? After forty-five years of believing in Jesus Christ, is it all a myth?

The Holy Spirit does not leave me in the dark for long. Soon my heart begins to think about the Lord as He has been revealed to me. My fears and doubts vanish as my heart begins again to worship Him and be thankful.

There are two passages of Scripture in the New Testament that are similar. Both speak of results — this is what happens when you do this. The results are the same: singing psalms and hymns from the heart with thankfulness. The causes are different . . .

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (Colossians 3:16)

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:15–21)

The first passage says I need to be richly immersed in the Word of God. The second says that I need to be filled with the Spirit. For both, the results are the same, indicated that there is a great similarity between the causes. That is, being filled with the Spirit has a great deal to do with being filled with God’s Word, but not merely reading or memorizing; the verses say it should dwell in me richly!

Richly is the English version of a Greek adverb that means rich in an identifible, distinctive manner; conceived of in a similar way as something characterized by great material possessions. This is ‘in a large amount’ and visibly apparent, abundant. It is like the creative abundance in the world around us.

My best example of someone in whom the Word of God dwelt richly was a pastor whose conversation include copious portions of the Bible, but he was not ‘preachy’ just so delightfully filled with the Word that he thought of it and used appropriately in most situations. He was a spiritual man with a wonderful capacity to bless other people. As Jesus said, “Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” (John 7:38)

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, as much as I’ve read the Bible and studied it, I’m not there yet. So often, the words and stories, the teaching and principles of the Bible are not the first thing that come to mind in life’s situations and events. That may come later, but I’m not bubbling over with it. Keep working on me, please!

No comments: