April 16, 2018

God is not silent!


Today, Tozer does his best to describe that most marvelous event —communication with God. This is not like hearing voices claimed by the mentally ill or those with demonic problems. His voice comes inside my mind yet it is not like me talking to myself either. For one thing, because I know God I also know His voice. Jesus said:

“When he (the good Shepherd) has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” (John 10:4–5)

When am I most apt to hear Him? Usually when I am reading the Bible or praying, and when I am actively trusting Him instead of being fearful or anxious. The Bible calls this ‘waiting on the Lord’ as the psalmist describes:

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’” (Psalm 91:1–2)

Waiting on the Lord is learned by being still and listening for Him. After a time of doing that and getting to know how God speaks, I can now hear Him when I am busy, sometimes even when I am not thinking about Him. His voice is like that of a friend who brings assurance, a warning, a word of guidance, a comfort.

He also speaks through other ways; the voice of a pastor preaching, the voice of a Christian friend who is Spirit-filled, the words of a song. Yesterday He used all three to guide me in what He wanted me to say as I stood before several hundred people. He came through loud and clear.

I’ve thought that only those who know Him by grace through faith can hear God speak, but that may not be correct. Missionaries and others tell of people in war-torn parts of the world who hear the Word of the Lord in dreams and visions and because of it, experience faith and are brought into the kingdom of God.

God spoke to me yesterday afternoon in a dream. The dream was about a car accident. The driver did not see a barricade in time and drove through it unto a partly constructed bridge. We were suspended over water. My unsaved granddaughter in the front seat flipped over the open convertible dashboard and fell a long distance into the darkness. Soon we were down there looking for her. We found a square place that was below the car. It appeared to have cardboard across the bottom. I cried to remove it, and there she was, huddled on a construction beam. She leaped into my arms, then told me that God was there, and He spoke to her. She was calm — and I woke up. I wept for a long time; the dream was so real and while the accident was traumatizing, so was my joy in her confession of faith.

After the dream, the Lord assured me that He can do things like this. While I messaged her to make sure she has not dropped off a bridge, I keep praying He will speak to her, and He used this dream to tell me He can answer my prayers for her.

^^^^^^^
Oh Lord Jesus, yesterday was filled with emotion. Several people said the quilt presentation put them in tears. The dream put me in tears. The day was filled with You speaking to me in varying ways. I am in awe of Your ability to put Your heart into our heart. How wonderful and a wonder. Thank You!

No comments: