April 24, 2018

God does this and I do that?


A well-worn book is titled, “His Part and Ours.” The author did a commendable job of explaining what God does and how we ought to respond. While this is not an excuse, it seems to me that every aspect of being a Christian has far more to do with what God does. The longer I am walking with Jesus, the more helpless I see myself. For that reason, I am drawn to the conclusion of this short passage . . .

“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12–13)

But there are other reasons to think God does most of it. The ‘fear and trembling’ has proven inadequate to produce obedience, as has my own determination. I’ve been through tests and temptations that have left me realizing that only by the strength and grace of God can I make it through this world maintaining faith and living a godly life. It seems all is against me, without and within.

Tozer’s devotional for today is called ‘A Disturbing Verse’ and it would be disturbing if I thought I had to do this myself. Yet as I read it, I am seeing more of what God does than the impossibility of what it asks of me.

“Therefore, lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled.” (Hebrews 12:12–15)

I droop. I’m weak. My path takes me wandering all over the place. I’ve no idea how to be at peace with everyone. As for holiness, all I can see is my lack of it. Yet these verses also speak of the grace of God. Grace is His doing, and by His doing all that is out of joint in me is healed. Holiness is totally a gift from the Lord!

Holiness is something like sanctification. God sets me apart for Himself and I cooperate by living for Him in righteousness and moral integrity. In Jesus Christ, I am made holy because otherwise I cannot be. My part is to behave in ways that reflect what God has done. Yet He works in me; He makes it happen.

Paul was able to say this of himself to the church in Thessalonica: “You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our conduct toward you believers.” (1 Thessalonians 2:10) He and those with Him knew they were holy in Christ and their conduct showed it to be true.

In the letter to the Ephesians, he explains God’s part and our part:

“Put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” (Ephesians 4:22–24)

The new self is an act of God in which Christ is my righteousness and holiness. Then He proceeds to help me act like it by renewing my mind and changing my behavior. . .

“And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.” (1 Thessalonians 3:12–13)

“Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)

He also has another method to help me act like what I am . . .

“For they (our parents) disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he (God) disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness.” (Hebrews 12:10)

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I am a carving. You use Your Word and the hazards and circumstances of life to chip away all that does not look like what I already am, Your child, holy and beloved. My part? Cooperate. And stop all resistance. I cannot hold on to any of those those chips!

No comments: