March 28, 2018

God is always near – one way or another!


My kettle boils and steam comes out the spout. I put water in my glass and an ice cube. All three, the steam, the water and the ice are H2O. I can distinguish them, but they are the same compound. For me, this is the best analogy for God. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.

We might use their names and job descriptions somewhat loosely at times, yet when they do differing tasks, all three are usually somewhat involved. One example is creation:

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. (Genesis 1:1–3)

God created (is that the Father?) and the Spirit was there, and when God spoke, His Word made all things. His Word is Jesus Christ . . .

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

These verses are explicit yet throughout Scripture, the implication is the same; the three in one godhead actively works to bless the people of God.

The saving and keeping power of God is continually associated with the Holy Spirit. As Tozer says, He subsists in a form that can impart itself to our consciousness. He reveals the Father and the Son to us. He enables us to understand the Word of God and the will of God. He gives us love, peace, and joy and guides us through life.

This week I watched an expose on a particular cult. When asked about the Holy Spirit, they say ‘it’ is an influence, an idea, but they missed it. In their belief system, there is an absence of the main item on the Spirit’s to-do list: illumination. They are unaware of the depth of sin, the nature of who Jesus Christ is, the power of God to change lives, and that salvation is by grace through faith, not a result of works. They believe Jesus died to give us the right to earn salvation, and that He did not physically rise from the dead. Without the personal illuminating power of the Holy Spirit, these cult members are unaware of the main truths of the Gospel.

While I was once like that, after being a follower of Jesus Christ for many years it seems as if the Spirit is showing me truth all that time, that He is everywhere I go, involved in everything I do. The psalmist said:

“Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.” (Psalm 139:7–10)

He lives in me. He puts thoughts and ideas into my head. He enables me to do things far beyond my capabilities and personal ambitions. He comforts me in trials, reminds me of who I am and what God’s Word says when I stray. He guides me in decision-making and gives me light in the dark times, and humility when needed (which is most of the time). He knows me better than I know myself.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, Your Spirit is a blessing, a wonderful gift from You, the very Friend and companion I need all the time. Thank You for sending this special and amazing Comforter!

No comments: