February 22, 2018

When doing nothing is most important . . .



Some say that immaturity is that attitude of, “I want what I want when I want it” which is usually right now. That means maturity is the ability to wait, to be content with delayed gratification or with not ever having what I want. This is a good way to describe spiritual maturity as well. David, the psalmist king of Israel said . . .

Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence. I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (Psalm 27:11–14)

His enemies pressed hard on him. He was falsely accused and in danger. Those with faith might think about heaven and say that total peace is coming but David knew that God could bring total peace to him “in the land of the living.” His prescription for fear, stress and anxiety is waiting, not just sitting there, but trusting God to do something without being pressured by the idea that I must do something.

This is a timely word for me, a ‘rhema’ word. I am anxious these days about the world news, political situations, senseless violence, and the unbelief of millions as they flounder trying to find answers. I’m fearful because some of the people I care about the most are ignoring God and in spiritual danger.

I love Tozer’s encouragement. He says, “There is an inactivity that, paradoxically, is the highest possible activity.” He is not talking about physical waiting in the sense of staying put, but about focusing on the presence of God with expectation and waiting for Him to act. It can mean physical and mental inactivity, but for me it means yielding my efforts to figure out my own way and leaving all the things that stress me in the hands of God. He knows all about them, and He knows solutions that will never enter my head. He also knows how He is going to use what I think of as disasters in His plans for this world. He will glorify His Son, no matter how bad things look.

When I wait on God, His unfathomable peace enters. This is not a peace that denies or dismisses the problems as if they don’t exist anymore or are not important. It is a peace that acknowledges God not only knows but is totally able to change things or use them for good. I cannot see how that can happen yet choose to ignore my ignorance in favor of choosing God’s wisdom and power.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, today appears to be a great day to bring to You again the woes and sorrows that vex and stress me and give them to You in faith, knowing that You know what to do, what to leave as it is, and what to change. I don’t need to give You any deadlines or orders. Your grace and power will flow out of Your great heart of love, guided by Your wisdom and perfect plans.

No comments: