February 12, 2018

Knowing is not the same as doing . . .



In his devotional reading for today, Tozer says something that humbles me because of its reality in my life. He writes, “You can read your Bible . . . and respond with either obedience or inward blindness. You can repeat Romans word for word and still be blind inwardly. You can quote all the Psalms and still be blind inwardly. You can know the doctrine of justification by faith . . . and be blind inwardly. It is not the body of truth that enlightens; it is the Spirit of truth who enlightens.”

Again, the image of walking in pitch darkness holding a flashlight comes to mind. If I step into the light that I have in front of me, the flashlight moves ahead to give more light, otherwise I stay where I am.

Tozer’s words and this passage from Romans add another dimension to that image — besides gaining more light, I need to stay on the right path . . .

Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. (Romans 6:16–18)

A Christian walking that path runs into many options. Some of them are tempting. Staying on the path is about keeping my eyes on Jesus and not being distracted by any of that other stuff. I might learn all sorts of truth, but if I am only learning it and not serving it, then I’m as much in the dark as if I’d turned that light off, or at least swerved its beam from the path to follow something other than where Jesus is leading me.

Now I understand something that was foggy before. My question has been how could I know truth and still be distracted and follow something that leads me away from Jesus? The answer is disobedience. Duh. As an eager to learn person, I gobble up the bread of life, but sometimes neglect to chew or swallow it. In my desire for more light, I can hurry away from the light that I already have. Whatever Jesus is teaching me and wherever I go when I learn those truths need to match. Getting side-tracked always makes me a slave of whatever side-tracks me.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I assume slavery has been abolished and like the Pharisees, think that I am a slave to no one. But that is not true. As You say, we are slaves to whatever we obey from the heart. Without a heart change or without obedience, either absence leads to darkness because it takes me off the path You desire. When You came into my life, I gladly did whatever You asked. Your Word says that I’m to continue that way, not leaving my ‘first love’ but always letting You not only light my path but draw me along it in obedience and thanksgiving.

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. (Colossians 2:6–7)

I’ve already confessed those follies, but You remind me that the root of them can again become a problem. I pray for continued clarity, that the Holy Spirit would always shed light on the right path and give me a good shove that I might keep walking on it in joyful and thankful obedience.


No comments: