January 8, 2018

Knowing about or knowing for sure?




Paul suffered because of his faith. He was persecuted, mocked, beaten, and jailed. This provoked him to say:

“This is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.” (2 Timothy 1:12)

Yesterday and today, I’ve been suffering too, not from persecution for my faith, but from one of the perils of being human in a sinful world — I’m in the hospital and not very functional. However, I can say with Paul, “I know who I believe and am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.”

Tozer explains the huge difference between knowing about something and knowing something. He uses a different example, but for me, I know about the electricity in the wall outlet, but when I plug in my appliance, I know it is there. It is not only available but useful and personal.

This is about head knowledge verses experience. I can know all about deep-sea diving but unless I strap on fins and a tank, I really don’t know it. Yet what Paul said goes deeper than that. My doctor came in with the question they must ask everyone admitted to the hospital: what about resuscitation should I have a heart attack, etc.?

My first thought was that verse Tozer quoted:

“And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” (John 17:3)

Jesus did not say eternal life was “knowing about” God and “knowing about’ Jesus Christ. It is ‘knowing Him.’ That one word changes everything. It changed my thoughts as I answered the doctor’s question. I KNOW Jesus, and I know that He is able to take care of what He has entrusted to me AND what I have entrusted to Him.

How did I remember this verse and what Jesus said? Because Jesus also said this about the Holy Spirit:

“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” (John 14:26)

Tozer calls this quality belonging to the Holy Spirit ‘penetrability’ but I would use the word ‘intimacy.’ He lives and gives life to me without pushing me out. He works only to push out sin. Living in the freedom of hearing His thoughts and following His lead is a blessing beyond compare. He gives comfort but also excitement to life.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, this has been a long two days, and the trial is not over. Interesting how You have me reading Job at the same time all this is happening. He suffered far worse that I do, yet his words have a new meaning as the Holy Spirit applies them to my need. You are an amazing God. Thanks for the prayers of Your people. I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but KNOW that I can trust You with it.

NOTE: I’m behind a day on the devotional readings and plan to catch up tomorrow, Lord willing. It isn’t easy to even get enough sleep in a hospital!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

I am praying for you, Elsie.