January 24, 2018

Interpretation is clearer when . . .



Our Monday night study group talked about the peace of God and how to have it. Yesterday’s funeral message was from the favorite verses of the ninety-six-year-old woman who had died, and one was about the peace of God and how to have it. This morning’s devotional points to the same passage. Each of these three ‘lessons’ builds on the one before it and when something like this happens, I must assume the Holy Spirit is driving home truth that I need to heed!

Tozer starts his devotional with an interesting illustration. He says when someone grasps a lump of clay, their hand is imprinted in the clay, then adds that in the same way when the human mind grasps God’s truth it remains truth, but it bears the image of the mind that grasps it. That is, we tend to run what we hear through our own grid and that can affect how we hear it.

Tozer says spiritual truth cannot enter a passive mind. That means I cannot ‘get it’ if I’m not really paying attention, yet when I am, “the act of receiving it tends to alter it to a greater or less degree.” He explains that how pure this truth is received is related to the moral standards of those who grasp it. The truth that the Holy Spirit reveals to me does not change, but my understanding of it will.

These are the verses God gave to me three days in a row:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:6–9)

On Monday, they came across to me as affirmation. When I pray with thanksgiving, God’s peace keeps my heart at peace. This happens and is an amazing reality about being a Christian who is trusting the Lord.
On Tuesday, that affirmation was illustrated in the life of a woman who loved God and trusted Him with everything. She practiced her faith in a godly life and with visible actions. She exemplified this truth.

Today, Tozer challenges me. His devotional suggests that the morality of my thought-life has a bearing on how I understand what these verses say. That is, a person with the thinking described in verse 8 will respond in a deeper and more meaningful way to verses 6 and 7.

Verse 8 offers a challenging list. My mind is to focus on truth not lies, things honorable rather than things not worthy of respect, whatever is just and conforms with law and morality, pure thoughts rather than thoughts of things ruined and defiled, things lovely rather than what is ugly or vile. My focus should be on things commendable rather than whatever has a bad reputation, things excellent or outstanding in virtue and worthy of praise rather than anything that is not commended or well-thought of.

As I read this, I can identify where I think properly at times, but also must admit the stuff that violates God’s desire for my thought life. That said, how does Tozer’s challenge apply to me?

One example comes to mind from yesterday’s post. If I am displeased with the way someone acts, then my prayer for that person usually reflects that, perhaps by asking God to ‘fix’ whatever they are doing. However, if my thoughts are focused on the good things I see in that person and I am thankful for God’s blessing on their lives, my prayers will not have that tendency toward being critical. Instead of feeling satisfied that God will ‘fix’ their problem, I ought to feel the joy of how He is blessing their lives. They could need ‘fixing’ but the greater truth is that they belong to God and He has already blessed them. How I am thinking will change the way I pray, and the way that His truth is seen and applied.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, yesterday I was looking at lack of response to Your truth by certain folks and praying You would ‘fix’ them. Now I realize my prayers need to be with thanksgiving for all You have done in their lives. I confess my attitude smacks of spiritual smugness (“I get it, but they don’t”). Forgive me and cleanse that out of my head. Fill me with gratitude for how You bless their lives as well as mine, and that You are taking care of them. I don’t need to tell You what to do.

No comments: